Progress Rail Services Corp. Structural Weldment Design Engineer in Muncie, Indiana
Auto req ID: 1791BR
Posting Title: Structural Weldment Design Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs.
Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world.
For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
Responsible for specifying requirements, execution and evaluation of designs, analysis, development, testing and control of major engineering projects where creativity and initiative are involved as well as a high level of independent judgment; Exercises technical direction over other engineers of engineering support personnel and may have work direction responsibilities over a group and specific engineering objectives; Consults with supervisor as required.
Key Job Elements
• Provide weldment designs for engine, generator, motor, bogie, underframe, cab and carbody;
• Provide field repair procedures for all EMD products;
• Develop welding specifications as required in support of product development;
• Interpret drawings and specification requirements in support of EMD manufacturers and suppliers;
• Support the qualification and implementation of new welding processes to reduce cost and improve quality;
• Represent EMD on the AWS D15.1 Locomotive Welding committee;
• Provide material recommendations and review material design applications;
• Conduct failure analysis and metallurgical evaluations of materials, components, and assemblies;
• Work in a team environment that includes Engineering, Product Design, Manufacturing, Quality, Field Service, Purchasing, and Supplier Development;
• Communicate information, both written and orally, to all levels of the organization in support of the above responsibilities;
• Travel as required to perform the above.
Education / Training
• College degree (BS) with a major in Engineering (mechanical, structural, welding, or metallurgical).
• Advanced college degree with a major in Engineering.
Qualifications and Experience
• Specific knowledge of engineering mechanics, structural design, metallurgy, and manufacturing engineering;
• High level of knowledge of welding/brazing processes;
• Familiarity with basic machine tools and fabrication processes;
• Understanding of engineering theory and principals of design;
• High level of analytical ability where problems are unusual or difficult;
• High level of interpersonal skills;
• Training in computer applications (Microsoft Office suite, drafting design software).
• Previous locomotive familiarity and design experience related to crankcases, generator frames, cabs, underframes, hoods.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities