Progress Rail Services Corp. Wireless Embedded Engineer in Albertville, Alabama
Auto req ID: 4018BR
Posting Title: Wireless Embedded Engineer
Job Category: IT
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
Design, develop and support an embedded device for various Wireless and Security applications.
Key Job Elements
• Work as part of a team to design, develop and support an embedded device for various Wireless and Security applications;
• Troubleshoot and solve Wireless connectivity, application and process related issues;
• Have a continuous improvement and cost conscious mindset;
• Participate in department, workgroup, and project meetings and discussions;
• Adhere to all company, department, and workgroup policies and procedures.
Education / Training
• 2 or 4-year degree in CS, CIS, or related technology field.
Qualifications and Experience
• Wireless technologies and protocols (Cellular, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, LoRaWAN, 802.15.4);
• Wireless services including: GSM, GPRS, CDPD, CDMA, CSD, STP, RF, Analog;
• Basic understanding of digital circuits;
• Full development life cycle from design, development, board bring-up, to product support;
• Familiarity with both power and communications cabling standards;
• Ability to work on or with hardware and FPGA teams as needed;
• Self-motivated with strong communication skills;
• Must be willing to travel and provide on call support.
• Common network communication protocols;
• Familiar with FCC, CE, EU (RED), PTCRB, ACMA type certification and regulatory requirements;
• Software engineering best practices for estimation, design, unit and system testing;
• Experience with container technologies;
• Basic signal processing for sensor systems;
• Experience with AWS or other cloud services;
• Software development proficiency in C/C++, Python, Shell, Bash;
• Software Development experience with all phases of software life cycle: design implementation, testing, deployment, and support.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities