Progress Rail Services Corp. Service Engineer in Barstow, California
Auto req ID: 4320BR
Posting Title: Service Engineer
Job Category: Customer Service
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
Responsible for effectively overseeing the troubleshooting and repair of all mechanical and electrical systems of a locomotive. Work directly with customers and their employees. Work involves considerable amount of creativity, perception, and initiative with wide latitude for independent action.
Key Job Elements
• Represent Progress Rail Locomotive Inc. regarding product service difficulties, causes and corrections;
• Provide technical advice to customers regarding proper facilities, tooling, maintenance practices, and operation of product to maximize reliability and performance;
• Assist customers with investigating and correcting product difficulties;
• Monitor equipment performance providing sales/service management with regular reports and recommendations for technical problem solutions;
• Maintain safe practices and good housekeeping;
• Train and develop new employees (hourly and salaried);
• Maintain records on work and modifications performed, and analyze data and report results;
• Ensure all governmental agency inspection requirements and/or procedures are accounted for and documented;
• Frequent contact with customers;
• Effective contact with others;
• Promote good group relations;
• Research/coordinate special tool and material requirements;
• Assist in the investigation and documentation of product warranty issues;
• Effectively update daily shop reports as required;
• Assist in the identification, investigation, and resolution of product reliability and performance issues;
• Prepare task procedure documentation/instructions to effectively communicate requirements to the shop workforce;
• Identify and report warranty and charge back items;
• Perform all responsibilities in accordance with, "Our Values in Action, Caterpillar's Code of Conduct."
Education / Training
• Associates degree or equivalent experience.
• College Degree.
Qualifications and Experience
• Medium level of oral and written communications skills;
• Medium level of interpersonal skills to work effectively with customers and workforce;
• Medium level of analytical ability where problems are complex;
• Medium level of mechanical and electrical aptitude;
• Knowledge of fundamental inspection and reliability procedures and processes;
• Ability to read Engineering drawings;
• Knowledge of shop practices and basic machinery;
• Willingness to relocate;
• Ability to work as a part of a multi shift seven (7) day a week operation.
This position is eligible for relocation benefits
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities