Progress Rail Services Corp. Welder/Grinder in Boaz, Alabama
Auto req ID: 3595BR
Posting Title: Welder/Grinder
Job Category: Manufacturing/Operations
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
Reports directly to and works under the supervision of a Production Supervisor. Operates various machines as part of the production process to recondition couplers and complete various components according to AAR and customer requirements.
Key Job Elements
• Perform all duties and responsibilities in compliance with PRS safety and quality policies;
• Safely operate and maintain air supplied grinder. (Adding Oil, Changing out grinding rocks/discs, RPM checks, etc.);
• Monitor work to ensure compliance with internal and external requirements;
• Remove worn components;
• Load and unload machines with material;
• Grind & buff material in preparation for additional processes;
• Gage and test material for compliance;
• Complete daily production reports and perform daily inspection of equipment;
• Safely operate Hoist and maintain inspections forms;
• Perform all duties and responsibilities within time standards allowed;
• Demonstrate the ability to work in a self-directed team based environment.
Education / Training
• High School Diploma or equivalent;
• Prior Welding Experience and/or Certification is required.
Qualifications and Experience
• Ability to communicate effectively to include reading and writing in English;
• 24+ months of experience operating torch, impact, or mig welding tools;
• Mechanical aptitude;
• Read precision instruments and gauges;
• Ability to work in a fast pace production environment and meet/exceed standards set by company;
• Understand technical drawings and work instructions;
• Capable use of hand and power tools, including pneumatic tools on a daily basis;
• Work around and operate overhead cranes and mobile equipment;
• Work on varied surfaces (concrete floors, gravel, dirt);
• Constant standing, walking, bending, crouching, stooping, kneeling, squatting, overhead reaching;
• Visual acuity;
• Push/pull up to 150 lbs and carry up to 85 lbs;
• Work weekends and overtime as required;
• Ability to wear a respirator.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities