Progress Rail Services Corp. Rail Car Switcher in Covington, Kentucky
Auto req ID: 4054BR
Posting Title: Rail Car Switcher
Job Category: Hourly/Skilled Trades
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
Reports directly to and works under the supervision of a Production Manager. A Switchman coordinates and moves freight cars throughout the facility/property and to/from the Main Line.
Key Job Elements
• Run the ground with limited or no issues on a daily basis;
• Complete paperwork with assistance / review;
• Able to inbound and outbound cars;
• Perform preventative maintenance on the locomotive.
Education / Training
High School Education or GED
Qualifications and Experience
• Ability to communicate clearly by radio;
• Proven ability to work safely with minimal supervision;
• Skilled at completing work functions with minimal direction;
• Work around and operate mobile equipment;
• Work on varied surfaces (concrete floors, gravel, rail car floors, dirt);
• Constant standing, walking;
• Constant holding ladder and riding on side of moving equipment;
• Frequent bending, crouching, stooping, kneeling, squatting, overhead reaching, climbing ladders;
• Push/pull up to 50 lbs;
• Carrying up to 50 lbs.
• Non-temperature controlled facility;
• Work outside in 0-100 degree F;
• Work in all weather conditions;
• Work in remote areas of the facility/grounds;
• High noise levels (above 85 decibels).
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities