Progress Rail Services Corp. Senior Field Service Engineer in Independence, Missouri
Auto req ID: 2440BR
Posting Title: Senior Field Service Engineer
Job Category: Service
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs.
Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world.
For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
Progress Rail Services Corporation, a Caterpillar Company and a leading provider of services to the Railroad industry in the US, Canada, Mexico, and Brazil, seeks an experienced Field Service Engineer at our facility in Independence, MO.
Field Service Engineer uses skills to perform on-site installation of systems and equipment and ongoing preventive maintenance, repair and calibration after installation. FSE responds to requests for emergency repairs and services troublesome equipment. Provides technical instruction and assistance to customer representatives regarding installation, operation, calibration, repair and maintenance at customers' sites. Participates in 24/7 Technical Support through use of cell phone technology. Travel 25 to 35% domestically and periodically internationally. Assist Manufacturing and Repair periodically when required.
Key Job Elements
• Troubleshoot system problems over the telephone;
• Troubleshoot system problems on-site;
• Clear communicator in person and on phone;
• Put lesson plans together for customer use or for on-site training;
• Assist customers with system installations (onsite expert);
• Handle 24/7 technical phone support;
• Assist with assembly in manufacturing, if requested;
• Construct, review and maintain customer User Manuals.
Education / Training
• 2 Year Degree in Electronic Technology or BS Degree in Computer or Electronic Engineering preferred.
Qualifications and Experience
• Background in railroad signal and communications industry;
• 2+ Years’ Experience with VISIO, AutoCAD and Adobe Acrobat;
• 2+ Years’ Experience - Communications Software: HyperTerminal or ProComm Plus, Putty or Terraterm. WebX and Ethernet skills are a plus;
• Advance Skills - Software: Microsoft Access, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint;
• 2+ Years’ Experience - Systems: Commercial ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning)-SAP R/3, Baan or JD Edwards;
• Ability to use laptop computer, Multi-meter, Oscilloscope and other electronic Test Equipment;
• Ability to manage multiple projects with varying timelines and work with technical managers, designers, application and lead engineers;
• Strong analytical skills, written/oral communication/presentation skills;
• Must be detailed oriented, well organized, a self-starter;
• Excellent customer service, problem-solving, and organizational skills;
• Fluent in English; strong capabilities in Spanish and Portuguese; other languages a plus.
Progress Rail offers an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Position employment status may affect benefits eligibility.
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities