Progress Rail Services Corp. Manager, Track Inspection Technologies in Kansas City, Missouri
Auto req ID: 4221BR
Posting Title: Manager, Track Inspection Technologies
Job Category: Engineering
City: Kansas City
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
This position is responsible for the operation, maintenance, services, and some sales efforts with a focus on emerging technology for railroad track testing and infrastructure inspection market for the Western United States. Additional responsibilities include data validation and reporting to meet customer requirements.
Position may be based in nearly any state west of the Mississippi River.
Key Job Elements
The successful candidate will work primarily over the road and will perform in-track inspection and data collection. Must be capable of performing job duties in a safe and professional manner. Must be a self-directed individual with ability to supervise and lead a small group. Must be responsible to report to customer and management production status in a timely and professional manner.
• Works with PRS team and customers to provide technical expertise to support requirements analysis and review;
• Manages specialized inspection equipment in revenue operations. This includes operating electronics, hydraulics, power and operating equipment. Ensuring safety, equipment maintenance, and administrative tasks are completed;
• Reviews system performance data using laptop and computer peripherals to monitor and measure system functionality, quality, and overall effectiveness.
• Manages the preparation and maintenance of reports necessary to carry out the functions requested;
• Prepares periodic reports for customers, management, and as necessary or requested, to track goal accomplishment;
• Communicates regularly with customers, managers, other designated contacts within the organization;
• Performs other duties and responsibilities, as assigned;
• Manages daily operations of the track inspection and testing equipment;
• Conducts inspection over segments of track when scheduled to find and identify inspection exceptions and notify the customer of them;
• Ensures proper Track Protection obtained as required for each segment;
• Stays current on equipment requirements, testing guidelines and trends in the rail testing industry and make recommendations to PRS Management as needed;
• Exemplifies PRS Vision, Values, and Culture in each and every interaction with team, customers, and stakeholders.
Education / Training
• High School graduate or equivalent.
Qualifications and Experience
• Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license;
• Must have a clean driving record;
• Must complete and maintain a DOT physical;
• Must be able to perform physical work of lifting up to 50 lbs periodically;
• Ability to walk on railroad track and ballast, climb truck ladders, carry moderate calibration and other tools;
• Willingness to wear PPE (hard hat, safety glasses, vest, hearing protection, steel toed boots) as required;
• Must be able to travel and be away from home up to 75% of the time;
• We assist in transportation home when operating vehicle must be left on job;
• Ability to work in office, shop and field (on-track) work environment including normal temperature and weather extremes;
•Must have the ability to read track inspection precision instruments and computer generated inspection reports and correlate the two;
• Good verbal and written communication skills;
• Good computer skills;
• Ability to communicate with all levels of employees and customers;
• Ability to pass drug screening and background check.
• Qualified on Railroad Operating Rules;
• Qualified on Rules for Roadway Workers;
• Qualified in General Safety Rules for railroad operations;
• Knowledgeable in Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) FRA 213, Track Safety Standards.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities