Progress Rail Services Corp. Category Lead, Fabrications in LaGrange, Illinois
Auto req ID: 3639BR
Posting Title: Category Lead, Fabrications
Job Category: Purchasing
Alternative Work Location: LaGrange, Illinois
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
Purchase specifically assigned productive and or non/productive materials, supplies, machinery, tooling and services. Decisions are made based on general policies, procedures and/or specifications.
Work is performed independently under general direction. Occasionally instructs, trains, or assigns work to other employees.
Key Job Elements
• Negotiates price and terms with suppliers;
• Initiates and implements cost reductions on supplier products;
• Develops new and maintains current qualified suppliers for assigned commodities;
• Procures quality material to support demand requirements;
• Establishes and maintains supply base with capacity/capability to support requirements;
• Troubleshoots to resolve issues relating to assigned vendors and their parts;
• Responds quickly to changing production and aftermarket customer needs;
• Coordinates execution of engineering changes affecting purchased material;
• Provides expedite assistance to assure maximum schedule performance;
• Works cross-functionally with Engineering, Quality, Accounts Payable, Supply Chain, Transportation, Receiving, Production, Customer Service, Demand Planning, others;
• Coordinates with Supply Chain to control inventory by leadtimes, lot sizes, MOQs, etc;
• Monitors raw material/alloy trends, using this to manage part pricing to minimize cost;
• Negotiates settlement on material issues due to quality, scheduling, or other causes;
• Makes decisions and/or recommendations impacting mfg operation and performance;
• Perform all duties in accordance with Our Values in Action, Caterpillar’s Code of Conduct;
• Adheres to company, purchasing, planning, and accounting policies and procedures.
Education / Training
• College graduate with minimum 4 year degree in related field.
Qualifications and Experience
• Minimum 3 years experience in material procurement and planning;
• Working knowledge of ERP and supply chain processes;
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
• Analytical ability and complex problem solving skills;
• Self-starter with initiative; ability to function with minimal supervision;
• High level of interpersonal skills to work within team environment;
• Knowledge of Purchasing and Supply Chain Department operations;
• Ability to read blueprints and understand basic Engineering documents;
• Understanding of demand forecasting and inventory management;
• Must be able to travel as required.
• Knowledge of highly engineered commodities: Metallic/Machined/Electrical/Rubber;
• Proficient computer knowledge; SAP or Oracle procurement experience; MS Office;
• APICS and/or CPM certification;
• Six Sigma training: Lean manufacturing methodology;
• Key commodities - Specialty Fasteners, Hardware.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities