Progress Rail Services Corp. Commercial Proposal Manager in LaGrange, Illinois
Auto req ID: 3074BR
Posting Title: Commercial Proposal Manager
Job Category: Sales & Marketing
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
Working as a member of the Commercial Proposals Group, the commercial proposal manager leads the development of customer proposals for locomotives, locomotive kits, and other product offerings. The incumbent will work with the technical proposal manager, outside sales, product marketing, engineering and pricing to provide professional, timely, and winning proposals for outside sales to present to customers.
Key Job Elements
• Work with outside sales to define customer requirements for responding to tenders, bids and proposals;
• Gather commercial scope and help facilitate the initial bid strategy;
• Develop internal timelines to meet deadlines and hold strategy meetings with the appropriate groups as needed;
• Interact with the various internal groups to gather the appropriate material, schedules, cost, pricing, and other commercial information related to the bid;
• Manage the creation of the tender or proposal response to ensure bid due dates are met;
• Review (or help prepare) outside sales manager’s cover letter and executive summaries that will be included in the proposal;
• Schedule proposal approval meetings and create information in support of decision making for such meetings;
• Assist in drafting contracts for approval;
• Work with outside sales and other relevant groups to manage contract changes during the negotiation process;
• Issue release letters authorizing work to begin and where necessary, obtain proper executive approvals if an advanced release is required;
• Load orders in SAP;
• Initiate and execute process improvements and streamline workflow of proposals;
• Fulfill all responsibilities in accordance with "Our Values in Action, Caterpillar's Code of Conduct."
• Other activities as assigned by manager.
Education / Training
• Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Engineering, or equivalent work experience.
Qualifications and Experience
• 5+ years of business experience;
• Advanced problem solving and analytical capabilities;
• Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills;
• Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment;
• Self-starter with the ability to prioritize assignments/projects within tight time constraints in order to meet customer deadlines;
• Strong verbal and written communication skills;
• Experience preparing multifaceted customer proposals for complex, long lead time products within tight timelines;
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
• SAP knowledge;
• Manufacturing experience.
This position may be eligible for relocation benefits.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities