Progress Rail Services Corp. Doweling Technician in LaGrange, Illinois
Auto req ID: 2878BR
Posting Title: Doweling Technician
Job Category: Hourly/Production
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
The Doweling Technicians are responsible for the doweling and inspection of various turbo components required for doweling assembly.
The starting wage rate is $20.50per hour. These are full time positions that include Benefits.
Key Job Elements
Doweling techs are responsible for the doweling of new and utex 645 and 710 turbocharger doweling components along with the associated verification steps during that process. The verification steps include but are not limited to cleaning and mastering the doweling table, marriage tables and idler stations. This includes disassembly and cleaning of arbors and expanding mandrels to ensure proper alignment of the doweling components. Other verification steps are also conducted to ensure components are properly centered through usage of hand gages, air gages and electronic gages. In addition to doweling, the DT31s will also conduct the qualification of new doweling components prior to doweling. This will include review of supplier parts, sampling of new in-house machined components and tracking of those components during the process. Once components are qualified, the DT31s will conduct SAP confirmations (payoffs). Other items include, but is not limited to, the ability to troubleshoot assembly issues, recording of serial records, conducting dimensional inspections, identification of parts, understanding of build instructions, A.I.’s, ETI’s and blueprints. In addition, the position may require turbo doweling assembly auditing when not assigned to build stations and writing of NCM tags for both the doweling and cellular machined areas.
• Assemble and disassemble turbo dowelings;
• Assemble parts in a sequence;
• Attach or bolt parts, components, or subassemblies to assembly units;
• Drill and ream components;
• Master gages;
• Tap parts into alignment;
• Inspect for conformity to industry standards or specifications;
• Read and follow work instructions;
• Follow production schedules;
• Stamp components if needed;
• Follow ISO 9001/ EMD Quality System standards;
• Measure dimensions using custom gaging;
• Measure parts for conformance to specifications using air and electronic gages;
• Measure parts for conformance to specifications using dial bores;
• Measure individual components using height stands and other functional gages;
• Use feeler gages;
• Use math to calculate critical dimensions;
• Record results of measurements;
• Record serial numbers of components;
• Review bills of material;
• Use torque wrenches;
• Use cranes and lifting fixtures;
• Identify non-conforming parts and fill out NCM tags;
• Clean work area, equipment, or tools;
• Process auditing.
Education / Training
• High School Diploma or GED.
Qualifications and Experience
• 1+ years’ experience working with EMD Turbochargers;
• Ability to read and interpret blueprints;
• Ability to wire circuit boards;
• Basic reading, math, writing skills;
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions;
• Communicate effectively.
• 35 Pound Max Lift, 42 Pound Max Push Force;
• Ability to climb, bend, stoop, kneel and/or crouch;
• Ability to Stand or Walk more than 5 hours;
• Ability to step up & down repeatedly on platforms to assemble product;
• Must pass a fitness for duty exam.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities