Progress Rail Services Corp. Electrical Applications Engineer in LaGrange, Illinois
Auto req ID: 3202BR
Posting Title: Electrical Applications Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
Purpose of this position is to interpret Engineering specifications to develop locomotive electrical designs and applications. Using existing locomotive schematics, design new circuits and physical electrical applications that meet the design intention of each project. Tasks include circuit design, cable section, interface design and selection, and circuit breaker sizing. Design high and low voltage circuits to interface to several locomotive control circuits and systems.
Key Job Elements
• Analyze and interpret locomotive customer and engineering specifications to develop locomotive electrical schematics and application drawings;
• Understand software options that satisfy customer requirements, and their impact on the electrical schematic;
• Manage, coordinate, and communicate status of all electrical application deliverables per customer order or shop schedule;
• Identify and resolve electrical application issues that arise during manufacturing or end product testing;
• Conduct design reviews as required for all phases of electrical application development;
• Effectively communicate issues impacting electrical applications to the appropriate design areas for resolution;
• Produce all necessary documentation of electrical designs as required for drafting, manufacturing, and service department;
• Stays abreast of new electrical technology and potential impact in locomotive design.
Education / Training
• Training / experience in electrical controls including machines, control, and power systems.
• Advanced Engineering degree or equivalent.
Qualifications and Experience
• Training / experience in electrical controls including machines, control, and power systems;
• Excellent written and oral communications skills;
• Ability to read and understand locomotive electrical schematics and drawings;
• Familiarity with basic electrical control devices;
• 3 – 5 years of experience designing electrical applications or systems;
• High level of analytical ability where problems are difficult and complex;
• Above average electrical troubleshooting skills;
• Strong interpersonal skills to work effectively with others, including manufacturing personnel;
• Understanding of electrical design and manufacturing, and test processes;
• Ability to work independently or in teams;
• Ability to travel as needed.
• Advanced experience with electrical design for vehicles and / or locomotives;
• Experience with railroads, locomotives, or traction systems preferred;
• Experience with electrical CAD tools (AutoCAD, E3, Mentor, etc.);
• Experience/ familiarity with SAP;
• Six Sigma Training;
• Formal Project Management Training
This position is eligible for relocation benefits.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities