Progress Rail Services Corp. Electrical Design Engineer in LaGrange, Illinois
Auto req ID: 3399BR
Posting Title: Electrical Design Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
Alternative Work Location: Mossville, IL is a secondary option
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
The engineer will be responsible for carrying out duties for the engineering department, including reviewing existing design, developing system specifications, schematics, diagrams and layouts, aid in research activities, testing and maintaining any applicable documentation, help with estimating and participate in process improvement activities. The successful candidate will report directly to the manager of the engineering team and collaborate with other departments (such as purchasing, operations, program management and manufacturing) on ongoing production and R&D projects.
Key Job Elements
• Assists in developing electrical system for various applications on the locomotive, research systems ideas and draw plans for these systems or sub systems utilizing computer programs;
• Assists in implementing engineering changes;
• Develops new applications based on customer requirements;
• Initiates documents to provide engineering authority;
• Create, organize and maintain engineering specifications up to date.
• Produces necessary design reports and related documentation;
• Performs design analysis and physical testing on prototypes;
• Participates in solution of engineering related product problems (Root Cause);
• Provides technical direction to other support teams (such as manufacturing and field service);
• Releases parts for production;
• Works with engineering functions, suppliers, plant personnel and others to implement cost reduction, methods improvement, product improvements, and to support build programs;
• Plans and implements test and / or development programs;
• Communicates information to and from internal and external customer organizations;
• Coordinates and consults with departments outside engineering such as manufacturing;
• Coordinates activities and help accomplishing departmental goals and tasks on time;
• Stays abreast of new technology and competitive products;
• Ensure compliance with recommended safety procedures & good housekeeping standards;
• Travel as required.
Education / Training
• BSME – Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering
Qualifications and Experience
• Minimum 3 to 5 years relevant engineering experience in electrical design;
• Knowledge & prior experience with engineering CAD and analysis software;
• Ability to read & understand electrical schematics, engineering drawings and sketches;
• Understanding of design and manufacturing process;
• Comfortable using common computer applications to perform routine tasks (SAP/MSOffice);
• Understanding of engineering theory and principles of electrical design;
• Ability to work independently and with others;
• Good oral and written communications skills;
• High level of analytical ability where problems are unusual or difficult;
• High level of interpersonal skills to work effectively with others;
• Ability to apply engineering principles to design, test and other engineering procedures;
• Expected high level of analytical ability where problems are unusual and difficult;
• Thorough understanding of complex mechanical and/or electrical concepts;
• Previous locomotive or heavy equipment design familiarity and test experience;
• Experience with Unigraphics, NX 7.5, and TeamCenter Engineering design software;
• Experience with Pro-Diagram or any other electrical design programs such as E3;
• Familiarity with mechanical engineering and electrical engineering design processes;
• Some mechanical design experience and knowledge;
• Caterpillar engine experience.
This position is eligible for relocation benefits
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities