Progress Rail Services Corp. Electrical Engineer - Electrical Compartment Design in LaGrange, Illinois
Auto req ID: 3380BR
Posting Title: Electrical Engineer - Electrical Compartment Design
Job Category: Engineering
Alternative Work Location: Operations Building 1
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
Design electrical compartment equipment, wiring, interface to structure, and engine wire harnesses through the application of specialized knowledge, skills, and abilities. Work involves independent judgment, decision making, and creativity. Management is available to provide additional guidance for unusual situations.
Key Job Elements
- Develops Electrical Compartment Design Equipment, Wiring, Interface to Structure, Engine Wire Harnesses;
- Performs design analysis;
- Assists in developing engineering designs;
- Creates and interprets design and performance specifications;
- Assists in implementing engineering changes;
- Initiates documents to provide engineering authority and to maintain math data;
- Participates in solution of engineering related product problems (Root Cause);
- Provides technical direction to support personnel;
- Works with engineering functions, suppliers, manufacturing personnel and others to implement cost reduction, methods improvement, product improvements, and to support build programs and resolution of field problems.
- Executes product plans with supervisor guidance;
- Releases parts for production;
- Communicates information to and from internal and external customer organizations;
- Coordinates and consults with departments outside engineering such as manufacturing;
- Organizes workload to provide updates and status reports to supervision;
- Completes all assignments on time in accordance with the published due dates;
- Stays abreast of new technology and competitive products;
- Regular contact with others outside the work group;
- Travel as required.
- Create the necessary documentation as described above (above paragraph) in support of customer options;
- Support designs from the concept phase thru the build cycle;
- Provide solutions to manufacturing when design and / or production problems occur.
Education / Training
- BS in Electrical Engineering;
- Formal training in Unigraphics (UG) including NX Router is a plus.
Qualifications and Experience
-Minimum of 2 years of electrical design experience.
- Training in college level theoretical and applied mechanics, vibrations, fluid dynamics, physics, metallurgy, electricity, thermodynamics, heat transfer and manufacturing techniques
- Training in computer applications;
- High level of analytical ability where problems are unusual and difficult; - Understanding of engineering theory and principles of design;
- Thorough understanding of schematics and associated wire running lists
- Good oral and written communications skills;
- High level of interpersonal skills to work effectively with others;
- Understanding of design and manufacturing processes;
- Ability to work independently and with others;
- Knowledge of computer engineering software.
- Knowledge of electrical and electrical components.
- Previous locomotive familiarity and design experience, especially in packaging and wiring of electrical equipment and electrical control systems;
- Proficient in the use of the Unigraphics (UG) CAD system in order to produce detailed drawings such as: wire forms, wire & cable kits, ‘P’ (Process / Stick) drawings, overlays and the associated cutting lists is a plus, but not a requirement.
This position is eligible for relocation benefits.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities