Progress Rail Services Corp. Electrical Engineer - Electrical Compartment Design in LaGrange, Illinois
Auto req ID: 4123BR
Posting Title: Electrical Engineer - Electrical Compartment Design
Job Category: Engineering
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
The purpose of this position is to contribute to the design, development and manufacturing of world class locomotives, rail products and services vital to our customer’s needs through the application of specialized knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Key Job Elements
• Develops engineering designs in concert with our design review process from the concept phase thru the build cycle;
• Implements engineering changes;
• Initiates documents to provide engineering authority and to maintain math data;
• Participates in solution of engineering related product problems (Root Cause);
• Provides technical direction to support personnel;
• Works with engineering functions, suppliers, plant personnel and others to implement cost reduction, product and methods improvements, resolution of field problems and to support build programs;
• Plans and implements tests and / or development programs, including design activities associated with production order support;
• Create project plans;
• Complete all assignments on time in accordance with the published due dates;
• Releases parts for production;
• Communicates / coordinates information to and from internal and external customer organizations. To include other (engineering) departments such as design drafting, electrical systems, systems engineering, test / validation, technical inquiry (sales), and program management;
• Stays abreast of new technology, competitive products and the potential impact in locomotive design;
• Regular contact with others outside the work group;
• Travels as required.
Education / Training
• BS in Electrical Engineering;
• Advanced college degree with major in engineering;
• Training in college level theoretical and applied mechanics, vibrations, fluid dynamics, physics, metallurgy, electricity, thermodynamics, heat transfer and manufacturing techniques;
• Training in computer applications.
Qualifications and Experience
• Minimum of 4 years of electrical design experience;
• High level of analytical ability where problems are unusual or difficult;
• Understanding of engineering theory and principles of design;
• Knowledge of electrical and electronic components;
• Good Oral and written communications skills; follow up work is expected;
• High level of interpersonal skills to work effectively with others;
• Good organizational skills;
• Can support multiple projects;
• Conversant with manufacturing processes that become integral to the design process;
• Ability to work independently and with others;
• Knowledge of computer engineering software & computer applications such as word, project, excel, Power point, and Viso;
• Previous locomotive familiarity and design experience, especially in packaging and wiring of electrical equipment/control systems;
• Skilled in the use of Unigraphics to help resolve problems and develop new concepts.
This position is eligible for relocation benefits.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities