Progress Rail Services Corp. Engine Performance Engineer in LaGrange, Illinois
Auto req ID: 3120BR
Posting Title: Engine Performance Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
Responsible for diesel engine emissions and performance development testing, component design, prototype development, and manufacturing support where decisions are made within the limits of general practices and standards. Exercise technical direction over engineering support personnel. Use independent judgment, but can receive some direct guidance from supervisor.
Key Job Elements
• Generates technical solutions for current, new and major programs,
• Provides technical leadership for advanced technology development,
• Performs complex design analysis,
• Responsible for creating and interpreting design and performance specifications and performing related design analysis and performance calculations,
• Implements engineering changes,
• Testing and validation of designs and equipment,
• Work with other Engineering Departments including Design / Drafting, Electrical Systems, System Engineering, Control System Engineering, Test / Validation, and Technical Inquiry (sales),
• Other activities include manufacturing/vendor support, resolution of field problems, and cost saving efforts,
• Travel as necessary, and flexibility to work on special assignments as required.
Education / Training
• BS in Mechanical Engineering required – preferred advanced mechanical engineering degree.
Qualifications and Experience
• Ability to make sketches read engineering drawings and conduct common engineering mechanical and engine performance computations.
• Experience using basic machining tools and exposure to manufacturing processes.
• Knowledge of engineering theory and principles and the ability to apply this knowledge to engine mechanical design and performance.
• Experience calibrating engines.
• Experience testing and optimizing emissions.
• Knowledge of computer software as it pertains to engineering.
• Demonstrated ability to work in cross-functional teams and coordinate with internal departments as well as outside suppliers.
• Self-starter who is able to work independently with little supervision on complex design analyses.
• Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with co-workers and senior management.
• Demonstrated strong written skills to provide technical reports and operating procedures.
• Ability to travel as required, up to 20%.
This position is eligible for relocation benefits.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities