Progress Rail Services Corp. Engineer I - Mechanical/Air Brake in LaGrange, Illinois
Auto req ID: 4105BR
Posting Title: Engineer I - Mechanical/Air Brake
Job Category: Engineering
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
• Work in a team environment as part of Progress Rail’s Traction Systems Design Group;
• Strong background dealing with pneumatic (or hydraulic) control systems, preferably in areas dealing with vehicle braking systems;
• Primary responsibility will be design of locomotive brake systems but willing to support other design or production support activities;
• Assignment will include providing production support and problem resolution to ensure brakes system meets customer and internal design intent.
Key Job Elements
• Define design requirements working with designers, suppliers, supply chain, and other departments to ensure locomotive brake system meets requirements and released on time;
• Define verification, production test procedures, and documentation as required;
• Other activities such as resolution of field problems and cost saving activities as required;
• Travel as necessary, and flexibility to work on special assignments as required.
Education / Training
• BS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
• MS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
Qualifications and Experience
• Minimum of 3 years practical work experience in Mechanical Engineering or related field;
• Excellent analytical abilities where problems are very complex;
• Excellent written and oral communication skills;
• Ability to read and create schematics for compressed air and electrical systems;
• Thorough understanding of manufacturing processes.
• Previous locomotive familiarity and design experience;
• Unigraphics experience;
• Familiarity with railroad operations, FRA laws, and AAR standards.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities