Progress Rail Services Corp. Engineer I - Power Assembly in LaGrange, Illinois
Auto req ID: 4491BR
Posting Title: Engineer I - Power Assembly
Job Category: Engineering
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
The purpose of this position is to contribute to the design, development and manufacturing of world class rail products and services vital to our customer’s needs through the application of specialized knowledge, skills, and abilities. Work involves independent judgement, decision making, and creativity. Management is available to provide additional guidance for unusual situations.
Key Job Elements
• Diesel engine power assembly component design, testing, development, cost savings, and manufacturing support;
• Components may include cylinder head, valves, piston, piston rings, liner, connecting rod, bearings….and associated hardware;
• Competencies to include:
- working effectively in cross-functional teams;
- coordination with internal engineering and non-engineering departments, as well as internal and external suppliers;
- independent worker requiring little supervision;
- manage and break-down complex design issues;
- conduct and engage in complex design analyses;
- strong interpersonal skills enabling a productive work environment;
- strong communication skills with all levels of the workforce/management;
- strong written skills to provide technical reports and operational procedures;
- engage in and identify customer field failures and provide timely solutions;
- prepare, manage, and track project budgets.
Education / Training
• BS in Mechanical Engineering.
• MS in Mechanical Engineering.
Qualifications and Experience
• Preferred experience in diesel engine power assembly hardware design, development, and testing;
• Preferred knowledge and experience in the areas of cast iron and iron forgings. Must be familiar with basic machining tools, manufacturing processes, casting processes;
• Knowledge and use of engineering-related computer analytical software;
• Ability to make sketches, read engineering drawings, and conduct common mechanical engineering computations;
• Strong oral and written skills;
• Willing to travel as required, up to 10%.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/vision/life/disability insurance along with flexible spending and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities