Progress Rail Services Corp. Principal Tech Engineer - Engine Systems in LaGrange, Illinois
Auto req ID: 4137BR
Posting Title: Principal Tech Engineer - Engine Systems
Job Category: Engineering
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
The purpose of this position is to contribute to the design, development and manufacturing of world class rail products and services vital to our customer’s needs through the application of specialized knowledge, skills, and abilities. Work involves independent judgement, decision making, and creativity. Management is available to provide additional guidance for unusual situations.
Key Job Elements
• Develop prototype testing and validation of engine components;
• Perform engine troubleshooting, data collection and failure analysis;
• Implement engineering changes;
• Initiate documents to provide engineering authority and to maintain math data;
• Develop solutions for engineering related product problems (Root Cause);
• Provide technical directions to support personnel;
• Work with engineering functions, suppliers, plant personnel and others to implement cost reduction, methods improvement, product improvements, and to support build programs;
• Execute product plans with supervisor guidance;
• Releases simple parts for production;
• Communicate information to and from internal and external customer organizations;
• Coordinate and consult with departments outside engineering such as manufacturing;
• Stays abreast of new technology and competitive products;
• Regular contact with others outside the work group;
• Travel as required.
Education / Training
• BS in Mechanical Engineering.
• MS in Mechanical Engineering.
Qualifications and Experience
• Training in college level theoretical and applied mechanics, vibrations, fluid dynamics, metallurgy, thermodynamics, heat transfer, and manufacturing techniques;
• Training in computer applications;
• High level of analytical ability where problems are unusual and difficult;
• Understanding of engineering theory and principles of design;
• Good oral and written communication skills;
• High level of interpersonal skills to work effectively with others;
• Understanding of design and manufacturing processes;
• Ability to work independently and with others;
• Knowledge of computer engineering software.
• Experience in working with diesel engines;
• Previous experience in engine component failure analysis and testing desirable;
• Knowledge and experience in engine blocks, oil pans, casting and welding processes.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities