Progress Rail Services Corp. Product Design Engineer in LaGrange, Illinois
Auto req ID: 3749BR
Posting Title: Product Design Engineer
Job Category: Customer Service
Alternative Work Location: Department 3307520
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
The Aftermarket Product engineer is responsible for planning, directing, and coordinating customers' new product or process development programs by providing technical guidance or assessment in the design, development, assembly, or test engineering disciplines. This incumbent will work with sales, product management, field service and core engineering to execute product inquiries from customers that are processed through sales, product & customer service teams. Additionally will assist in creating, executing pipeline of innovative R&D ideas for aftermarket that align with MGPP (multi generation product plans). They will be required to work closely with the pricing providing optimal engineering solutions, work with product team to provide best available technical options / product features, work with sales to clarify & guide through product offerings to customers as well with working closely with Customer Service to understand customer pain points to convert into an aftermarket product offering. This role will provide an opportunity to see projects through their full life cycle from ideation to market launch in the area of software, mechanical, control & network architecture projects.
Key Job Elements
• Act as single point of contact for NA & international aftermarket opportunities in the areas of Engine, mechanical software, onboard / offboard, network electronics and advanced rail digital products;
• Employ effective product development skillset across portfolio to manage, execute the product lifecycle;
• Understand the market needs to create MGPP, road maps to align with customer and commercial product management teams;
• Drive NPI/NPD programs to fruition by working with cross functional teams
• Act as key individual for the organization to oversee the execution of go to market product plan and launch;
•Interface with all levels of organization and clearly communicate product features, options;
• leverage standardization across several customers for offerings to maximize margins and reduced redesigns;
• Support projects within and across groups to bring new products to market;
• Initiate and support all new product development planning and projects for the Control Mechanical product line;
• Participate in sales, product, customer discussion to convert ideas into real product offerings;
• Act as SME aftermarket organization;
• Have a sound financial acumen to track project execution (NRE hrs. and dollars) to maintain highest margin.
Education / Training
• BS Mechanical or Electrical Engineering.
• MBA or Masters in Mechanical Engineering.
Qualifications and Experience
• At least 8 years experience in product design/development or new technologies;
• Minimum 3 years relevant experience in collaborating with engineering teams on projects scoping, & building resource estimates;
• Understanding of locomotive software, mechanical, electrical technologies;
• Experience in leading NPI / NPD programs through tollgates/stage gate processes;
• Comfortable using common computer applications to perform routine tasks (SAP/MSOffice);
• Ability to work independently and with others in a matrix environment;
• Ability to lead teams, projects in matrix organization to the go to market plan;
• Good oral and written communications skills;
• High level of interpersonal skills to work effectively with others;
• Ability to apply people skills to drive teams to define clear scope upfront for project execution;
• Thorough understanding of complex software & network in locomotive environment;
• Previous locomotive or heavy equipment design familiarity and test experience;
• Knowledge of Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP) in engineering build planning & execution;
• Proven success in leading projects from inception through completion with direct responsibility for execution;
• Familiarity with engineering design processes.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities