Progress Rail Services Corp. Project Engineer (Control Systems) in LaGrange, Illinois
Auto req ID: 4429BR
Posting Title: Project Engineer (Control Systems)
Job Category: Engineering
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
The purpose of this position is to contribute to the design, development and manufacturing of world class rail products and services vital to our customer’s needs through the application of specialized knowledge, skills, and abilities. Work involves independent judgement, decision making, and creativity. Management is available to provide additional guidance for unusual situations.
Key Job Elements
• Develop, maintain and enhance system designs based on understanding and interpreting high level system requirements;
• Creation of control system software requirements based on high level requirements and design;
• Be able to work with third party electrical systems, and do what is necessary to integrate those systems into the control system;
• Work with software engineers to implement system designs;
• Validate the final product either on control stands or in the field as required;
• Travel as required to complete validation of system design. This travel should not exceed 25% of employee’s time;
• Provide support to field personnel as required based on field problems related to areas of responsibility.
Education / Training
• BS Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering.
• Master Degree, Electrical Engineering.
Qualifications and Experience
• High analytical aptitude required in the area of System Design, System Development, System Integration and System Validation;
• Strong personal skills and the ability to work in groups;
• Experience writing technical documents;
• Experience with CAN, Ethernet, and other communication protocols;
• 2+ years engineering experience.
• Knowledge of control theory;
• Familiarity with Polarion or similar requirements management tools;
• Familiarity with EN-50128;
• Matlab & system modelling;
• Knowledge of C and C ++ programming languages.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/vision/life/disability insurance along with flexible spending and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities