Progress Rail Services Corp. Project Engineer - Gas Program Support in LaGrange, Illinois
Auto req ID: 4504BR
Posting Title: Project Engineer - Gas Program Support
Job Category: Engineering
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
The purpose of this position is to contribute to the design, development and manufacturing of world class rail products and services vital to our customer’s needs through the application of specialized knowledge, skills, and abilities. Work involves independent judgement, decision making, and creativity. Management is available to provide additional guidance for unusual situations.
Key Job Elements
• Develop control system strategy and software to meet Advanced Diesel Engine Performance and Emission Requirements;
• Test and optimize Diesel Engine Duel Fuel injection and Air handling Systems and related components including Reliability Improvement;
• Organize and lead complex development projects with minimum supervision. Self-Starting;
• Work with gas component suppliers, manufacturing personnel and other related cross functional teams for the development of final product;
• Coordinate with performance and mechanical design teams for full product support;
• Customer and regulator interface in all phases of product development/introduction;
• Travels as required.
Education / Training
• BSEE or BSCS with 3 to 5 years of Diesel Engine Control System development experience including CAN (J1939), interface with Engine after-treatment and performance teams.
• MSEE or MSCS with 5 years of large medium speed Diesel Engine and Natural Gas System Control development experience.
Qualifications and Experience
• Experience working with cryogenic systems;
• Experience in developing control algorithms and embedded control software development in “C” and MatLab/Simulink;
• Posess working knowledge of Diesel Engines, Dual Fuel Engine Applications, Air handling systems, control strategies, sensors and actuators to meet the Diesel Engine Emission Requirements;
• Multi-domain simulation and Model-Based Design for dynamic and embedded systems;
• Analytical ability to solve complex engine and after-treatment system control issues;
• Vehicle integration of engine control components including controllers, wiring harnesses, sensors, injectors and actuators;
• Good interpersonal skill and knowledge of using Microsoft Office.
• Proficient in HIL testing strategies, Matlab, Canape, Canalyzer, Python, SAP, Microsoft Office, Powerpoint, CAD software;
• Familiarity with NPI processes;
• Experience in developing engine mis-fire detection strategies;
• Experience with remote data monitoring and analytics;
• Ability to conduct cross functional design reviews and FMEA;
• 2 to 5 years of experience in Diesel Electric Locomotive control system integration;
• 2 to 5 Years of experience in developing exhaust Duel Fuel control strategies and software;
• 2 Years of experience in improving reliability of control components.
This position is eligible for relocation benefits.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/vision/life/disability insurance along with flexible spending and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities