Progress Rail Services Corp. Project Engineer - Hardware Design in LaGrange, Illinois
Auto req ID: 2934BR
Posting Title: Project Engineer - Hardware Design
Job Category: Engineering
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
The purpose of this position is to contribute to the design, development and manufacturing of world class rail products and services vital to our customer’s needs through the application of specialized knowledge, skills, and abilities. Work involves independent judgement, decision making, and creativity. Management is available to provide additional guidance for unusual situations.
Key Job Elements
• Define, document, understand and interpret requirements for locomotives control hardware;
• Develop analog and digital electronic circuits to meet control system requirements;
• Perform functional and environmental lab qualification on locomotive control hardware and systems;
• Manage electronic circuit hardware design projects including requirements definition, circuit development, conducting necessary peer reviews, conducting validation, and deploying in production;
• Schematic capture and circuit simulation;
• Monitor field performance and perform root cause analysis and implement corrective actions for field performance issues;
• Regular contact with others outside the work group including suppliers and customers;
• Travel as required;
• Work with and manage suppliers;
• Title and compensation to be commensurate to experience and qualifications.
Education / Training
• BS in Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
• MSEE or equivalent.
Qualifications and Experience
• Min 2 year experience in electronic hardware design;
• High level of analytical ability where problems are unusual and difficult;
• Experience in specification, design, and application of real time control systems hardware;
• Good oral and written communications skills;
• High level of interpersonal skills to work effectively with others;
• Understanding and experience with use of design processes;
• Ability to work independently and with others.
• Experience with applying electronics in severe environmental or military, or rail applications preferred;
• Familiarity and experience with locomotive control systems;
• Experience with Orcad, LTSpice, and Pspice;
• Experience with embedded control software including, C, C++, Python, and assembler;
• Experience with power supply design;
• Experience with FPGA development;
• Experience or knowledge of design for EMC/EMI;
• Experience with Linux.
This position is eligible for relocation benefits.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities