Progress Rail Services Corp. Project Engineer - Mechanical - Bogie Engineer in LaGrange, Illinois
Auto req ID: 4287BR
Posting Title: Project Engineer - Mechanical - Bogie Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
The purpose of this position is to contribute to the design, development and manufacturing of world class rail products and services vital to our customer’s needs through the application of specialized knowledge, skills, and abilities. Work is within limits of general policies, procedures, specifications, and practices. Management is available to provide guidance.
Key Job Elements
• Work in a team environment as part of Progress Rail’s Traction Systems Bogie Design Group;
• Knowledge of manufacturing and mechanical aspects of bogie and WAG components;
• Conduct investigations, analyze data with support, implement and verify fixes for resolution of field problems;
• Responsible for creating and interpreting design and performance specifications;
• Provide shop support and production problem resolution in areas of responsibility;
• Testing and validation of new designs and equipment;
• Stays abreast of new technology and competitive products;
• Provides technical direction to support personnel;
• Support Supply Chain in qualification of new suppliers;
• Travel as necessary, and flexibility to work on special assignments as required.
Education / Training
• BS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
Qualifications and Experience
• 5+ years of practical work experience in Mechanical Engineering or related field;
• Knowledge of computer engineering software;
• Analytical abilities;
• Excellent written and oral communication skills;
• Understanding of materials, engineering theory, and principles of design, including bolted joint design;
• Solid structural design familiarity;
• FEA experience;
• Understanding of manufacturing processes;
• Ability to work independently and with others.
• Previous locomotive familiarity and design experience especially with bogie components;
• Unigraphics experience;
• Familiarity or experience with PR manufacturing practices.
This position is eligible for relocation benefits.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities