Progress Rail Services Corp. Project Manager I in LaGrange, Illinois
Auto req ID: 3792BR
Posting Title: Project Manager I
Job Category: Engineering
Alternative Work Location: LaGrange, Illinois
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
Responsible for the coordination and direction of engineering projects and their teams. Work involves a high level of independent judgment and a considerable amount of creativity, perception and initiative.
Key Job Elements
• Organize, structure and manage project teams to meet the needs of the project;
• Assure resources, timing, scope and deliverables are clearly defines and managed;
• Controls project costs and manage the project budget;
• Creates and maintains Program Schedules for New Product Development, Problem Investigation/Resolution and Existing models upgrades, modifications and major rebuilds;
• Lead efforts with the organization to ensure on time delivery of quality information, material, workmanship and deliverables of the contract are being met to project specifications;
• Develop and maintain program reports detailing project performance;
• Identify and manage program risks and scope change;
• Travel as required to perform duties;
• Accept special assignments as needed;
• Advises on administrative procedures and resolves technical problems;
• Coordinates programs with related departments;
• Regular contact with others outside the work group;
• Develops Resource Estimates for new and existing programs, in terms of funding and man-hours.
Education / Training
• BS in Business or Engineering.
• MBA or PMP certification.
Qualifications and Experience
• Minimum 6 years of Program management experience, including use of Program Management Tools OR Minimum of 7 years Scheduling Locomotive or Rail product development projects;
• Experience in successfully managing people, projects and/or programs;
• High degree of organizational skills;
• High level of analytical ability to assess, identify and facilitate appropriate alternative courses of action;
• Highly developed written and verbal communication;
• Excellent conflict resolution skills;
• Ability to travel 10-30%.
• Experience with research and development projects;
• Ability to understand basic mechanical concepts;
• Understanding of math and mechanical engineering principles;
• Ability to read engineering drawing;
• High level of interpersonal skills to work effectively with others, motivate employees and elicit work output;
• Ability to adapt to changing situations;
• Experience managing programs, in terms of cost, schedule and performance;
• Technical knowledge/experience with Engines and associated subsystems;
• Making decisions, to assure customer commitments are met;
• Proficient with MS Project, SAP and Locomotive applications;
• Knowledge of Earned Value Management.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities