Progress Rail Services Corp. Schematic Designer in LaGrange, Illinois
Auto req ID: 4327BR
Posting Title: Schematic Designer
Job Category: Engineering
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
The purpose of this position is to contribute to the design, development and manufacturing of world class rail products and services vital to our customer’s needs through the application of specialized knowledge, skills, and abilities. Work involves independent judgement, decision making, and creativity. Management is available to provide additional guidance for unusual situations.
Prepare engineering electrical schematic drawings. Focus on basic wiring and circuit development, customer specific applications, and complete locomotive customer schematics. Work involves creativity in basic electrical design; performing independently, and decisions made based on general schematic development practices and procedures.
Key Job Elements
• Develop circuit layouts that will be implemented into overall electrical schematic;
• Provide on-site support to manufacturing (not to exceed 10% of available time) for questions / corrections related to overall locomotive electrical schematic;
• Provide feedback from Manufacturing to the schematic development process;
• Develop schematics from design objectives and detail established by others;
• Support mechanical designers with all pertinent electrical information in support of their applications;
• Provide input and feedback during design reviews;
• Work small electrical modifications, complex Design Change Requests, and well-defined Drafting Work Orders;
• Clearly communicate detailed design information to and from internal and external customers;
• Organize workload in order to provide updates and status reports in a timely manner;
• Seek design input from customers and be able to enhance instructions based on experience;
• Stay abreast of new technology in regard to schematic development tools;
• Travel as required.
Education / Training
• Associates Degree in Drafting, Industrial Design, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent;
• 5 years of electrical schematic development experience required;
• 2 years E3 schematic development experience (preferred).
Qualifications and Experience
• Knowledge of electrical schematic development and drafting practices;
• Understanding of and previous experience with electrical schematic;development within a computer graphics system;
• Full understanding of circuit development within a physical schematic;
• Basic understanding of Locomotive subsystems as they pertain to electrical development;
• Understanding of electrical design in regard to Locomotive subsystems;
• Basic understanding of a Locomotive General Arrangement;
• Above average oral and written communication skills;
• Analytical ability where problems are somewhat complex;
• Ability to consistently execute to job schedule and milestone dates.
• Complete understanding of 2D electrical schematic development tools, such as AutoCAD or equivalent. EXCEL and other spreadsheet software’s for Wire run list sorting;
• Complete understanding of the E3 schematic intelligent software system;
• Basic understanding of TeamCenter Engineering workflow processing.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/vision/life/disability insurance along with flexible spending and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities