Progress Rail Services Corp. Software Development Engineer in LaGrange, Illinois
Auto req ID: 3333BR
Posting Title: Software Development Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
Analyze locomotive system requirements to determine software design and logic. Apply specialized knowledge, skills, and abilities. Work involves independent judgement, decision making, and creativity. Management is available to provide additional guidance for unusual situations.
Key Job Elements
- Responsible for receiving specifications for new systems, and implementing them in code
- Analyze system requirements to determine software design and logic.
- Ensure that all work assigned work is completed on time
- Work with lower level software, application software, and communication software associated with a high level GUI based control systems.
- Test coded software requirements at desk and in lab.
- Provide support to field personnel as required based on field problems related to areas of responsibility
- Travel (Domestic and International) to support different projects. Typically this could be 2-4 weeks per year, more or less depending on the assignment.
Education / Training
• BSEE or BSCS
Qualifications and Experience
• 6+ years experience with Embedded Programming in C++
• Excellent written and oral communications when dealing with system engineer’s requirements.
• Experience in OO Design and Methodology
• Good written and oral communications
• High level of analytical ability where problems can be unusual & difficult
• Ability to analyze code for deficiencies & redesign existing code
• Ability to clearly document and reverse engineer multi-threaded executable code
• Must be willing and able to travel, including international
• Experience with networks, especially CAN
• Strong personal skills and the ability to work in groups
• Must be able to create software requirements
• Experience with MS Office products including Word and Excel
• Highly self-motivated individual with attention to detail
• C#, SQL, .Net experience
• Experience with QNX operating systems
• Experience with UML
• Familiarity with IBM DOORs, Telelogic Change & Synergy
• Experience with IBM Rhapsody
This position is eligible for relocation benefits.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities