Progress Rail Services Corp. Sr. Commodity Buyer in LaGrange, Illinois
Auto req ID: 3996BR
Posting Title: Sr. Commodity Buyer
Job Category: Purchasing
Alternative Work Location: LaGrange, IL
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
Position develops, leads, maintains and seeks approval of sourcing strategies from functional management; Continuously optimizes the Total Cost of Ownership; Leads cost reduction program; Actively participates to the pre-bid and bid processes, up to Aftermarket phase; Selects, negotiates and establishes contracts with suppliers; Monitor supplier's performance; Resolves chronic problems regarding quality and supply; Leads make/buy process up to approval from Senior VP; Works closely with all functions and supports resolution of operational issues when required.
Key Job Elements
• Negotiates price and terms with suppliers;
• Act with sense of urgency to cut purchase order on time;
• Initiates and implements cost reductions on supplier products;
• Develop new and maintains current qualified suppliers for assigned commodities;
• Procures quality material to support demand requirements;
• Establishes and maintains supply base with capacity/capability to support requirements;
• Troubleshoots to resolve issues relating to assigned vendors and their parts;
• Responds quickly to changing production and aftermarket customer needs;
• Coordinates execution of engineering changes affecting purchased material;
• Provides expedite assistance to assure maximum schedule performance;
• Works cross-functionally with Engineering, Quality, Accounts Payable, Supply Chain, Transportation, Receiving, Production, Customer Service, Demand Planning, others;
• Coordinates with Supply Chain to control inventory by lead times, lot sizes, MOQs, etc.;
• Monitors raw material/alloy trends, using this to manage part pricing to minimize cost;
• Negotiates settlement on material issues due to quality, scheduling, or other causes;
• Perform all duties in accordance with Our Values in Action, Caterpillar’s Code of Conduct;
• Adheres to company, purchasing, planning, and accounting policies and procedures.
Education / Training
• Bachelor's degree;
• Experience of ERP systems and Microsoft Office product;
• Excellent computer skills.
• Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Engineering focus;
• Prior Purchasing experience;
• SAP exposure.
Qualifications and Experience
• Good verbal and written communication skills;
• Demonstrated analytical ability and problem solving skills;
• Self-starter with initiative; ability to function with minimal supervision;
• Interpersonal skills to work within team environment;
• Ability to read (or learn to read) blueprints and understand basic Engineering documents;
• Experience with demand forecasting and inventory management;
• Ability to travel as required;
• Attention to detail, ability to multi-task and prioritize tasks with strict deadlines;
• Ability to apply logic and reasoning to identify solutions to problems;
• Demonstrated personal time management skills.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities