Progress Rail Services Corp. Sr. Software Engineer in LaGrange, Illinois
Auto req ID: 4178BR
Posting Title: Sr. Software Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
The purpose of this position is to contribute to the design, development and manufacturing of world class rail products and services vital to our customer’s needs through the application of specialized knowledge, skills, and abilities. Work involves independent judgement, decision making, and creativity. Management is available to provide additional guidance for unusual situations.
Key Job Elements
• Responsibility for analyzing system requirements and provide architectural decisions for the software engineering team;
• Also responsible for selecting project protocols and interfaces to support the requirements and design;
• Must be able to lead a small team of engineers to investigate and author software designs as well as working directly on the software;
• Candidate is expected to be a self-starter and able to multitask;
• Knowledge of software engineering best practices and quality engineering processes is required;
• Domestic and/or International travel of 1-2 weeks per year is typical with this position.
Education / Training
• BSCS, BSCE or similar degree.
• MSCS or MSCE.
Qualifications and Experience
• Excellent understanding of Software Configuration Management principles and processes;
• Minimum 10+ years of experience with embedded programming in C++;
• Minimum 8+ years of experience designing/architecting complex software systems;
• Experience with networking protocols, preferably TCP/IP and/or CAN;
• Experienced user of software version control programs and configuration management preferably GIT/Stash, Jira and Polarion/DOORS;
• Experience with MS Office products;
• Excellent written and oral communication.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities