Progress Rail Services Corp. Sr. Strategic Sourcing Buyer in LaGrange, Illinois
Auto req ID: 4161BR
Posting Title: Sr. Strategic Sourcing Buyer
Job Category: Purchasing
Alternative Work Location: 400 - EMD HQ LaGrange, IL
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
Purchase specifically assigned production and/or non-production materials, supplies, machinery, tooling and services. Decisions are made based on general policies, procedures and/or specifications.
Work is performed independently under general direction. Occasionally instructs, trains, or assigns work to other employees.
Key Job Elements
• Negotiate commercial agreements with suppliers to establish pricing, terms and conditions;
• Ability to create business cases and long term strategies for different material categories;
• Initiate and implement cost reductions on products supplied by external or internal sources;
• Develop new global sources and maintains current qualified suppliers for assigned material categories;
• Support the procurement function with quality material to fulfill demand requirements;
• Establish and maintain supply base with capacity/capability to support requirements;
• Troubleshoot to resolve issues relating to assigned suppliers and their parts;
• Respond quickly to changing production and aftermarket customer needs;
• Coordinate execution and implementation of engineering changes affecting purchased material;
• Lead the New Product/Component Introduction process in the specific material category;
• Provide expedite assistance to assure maximum schedule performance;
• Work cross-functionally with Engineering, Quality, Accounts Payable, Supply Chain, Transportation, Receiving, Production, Customer Service, Demand Planning, others;
• Coordinate with Supply Chain to control inventory by lead times, lot sizes, MOQs, etc.;
• Monitor raw materials/alloy trends, using this to manage part pricing to minimize cost;
• Negotiate settlement on material issues due to quality, scheduling, or other causes;
• Make decisions and/or recommendations impacting manufacturing operations and performance;
• Perform all duties in accordance with Our Values in Action, Caterpillar’s Code of Conduct;
• Adhere to company, purchasing, planning, and accounting policies and procedures.
Education / Training
• College graduate with minimum 4 year degree in Engineering.
Qualifications and Experience
• Minimum 5-10 years of experience in material procurement and planning;
• Working knowledge of ERP and supply chain processes;
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
• Analytical ability and complex problem solving skills;
• Self-starter with initiative, ability to function with minimal supervision;
• High level of interpersonal skills to work within team environment;
• Knowledge of Purchasing and Supply Chain Department operations;
• Ability to read blueprints and understand basic Engineering documents;
• Understanding of demand forecasting and inventory management;
• Must be able to travel as required.
• Knowledge of highly engineered materials categories: Metallic, Machined, Electrical, Mechanical, Rubber;
• Proficient computer knowledge: SAP or Oracle procurement experience; MS Office;
• APICS and/or CPM certification;
• Six Sigma training: Lean manufacturing methodology;
• Key Commodities – specialty fasteners, hardware, mechanical assemblies, electric/electronics, castings, forgings, fabrications, engine components.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities