Progress Rail Services Corp. Sr Supplier Quality Engineer in LaGrange, Illinois
Auto req ID: 3138BR
Posting Title: Sr Supplier Quality Engineer
Job Category: Supply Chain
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
The purpose of this position is to contribute to customer satisfaction through the application of specialized knowledge, skills, and abilities to tasks/projects associated with assessing the quality of the products we design, manufacture, sell, and other related services we provide. Act as technical liaison between purchasing, design engineering, manufacturing and supplier to help determine root cause to resolve quality issues as part of manufacturing value stream. Work involves independent judgement, decision making, and creativity. Management is available to provide additional guidance for unusual situations.
Key Job Elements
• Work closely with PR Design Engineering and Purchasing to effectively and collaboratively develop supplier capability for output of production quality parts, meeting PR specifications
o Identify high risk suppliers and their capabilities/risk items
o Considerable creativity and initiative to problem solve, identify solutions as well as improvement opportunities
o Apply advanced knowledge of manufacturing and engineering processes to guide improvement and solutions
o Program manage capability efforts to include documented project plan with specific actions and deadlines
o Report out regularly, updating leadership
• Participate in Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP) for NPI with suppliers
o Key characteristic matrix development
o Ensure Design for Manufacturing
o Quality Control Plans
• Identify SPAP requirements early in Supplier Selection Process with PR Design Engineering and Purchasing and communicate them with clear documentation to supplier
• Proactively work with supplier on lean activities that provide better quality and cost savings
• Conduct supplier audits and coach for continuous improvement
• Resolve chronic supplier quality issues (multiple QN, PERS, Warranty Claims) at the suppliers manufacturing site for continuous improvement
• Assist Purchasing in cost reduction and supplier cost recovery projects with existing suppliers
• Identify PR process gaps as it relates to Supplier Excellence and make recommendations for correction
• Manage nonconforming supplier material with containment, rework and cost recovery
Education / Training
• BS in Engineering or other technical discipline, required, Masters degree preferred.
Qualifications and Experience
o Quality professional with experience and knowledge of fabrications, welding, machining
o Function in accordance with the principles outlined in the Code of Conduct and Values in Action
o Proficient oral and written skills
o Basic understanding of DFMEA and PFMEA methodology
o Understanding of manufacturing processes and controls
o Knowledge of PPAP/SPAP, control plans, capability analysis
o Strong communication skills; collaborative; change agent qualities
o Ability to travel as needed
o Creative thinking capability for problem solving, 8D, 5Y methodology
o Knowledge of locomotive, background in heavy manufacturing
o Background in automotive quality principles
o Knowledge of six sigma, lean manufacturing and corrective action planning; Six sigma black belt a plus
o Knowledge of SAP, metrology, statistical measurement capability
This position may be eligible for relocation benefits.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities