Progress Rail Services Corp. Staff Engineer, Repower Locomotive in LaGrange, Illinois
Auto req ID: 3289BR
Posting Title: Staff Engineer, Repower Locomotive
Job Category: Engineering
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
To successfully lead a team to solve technical problems related to repowering locomotives and/or create critical component(s) and systems or processes within budget, while meeting the requirements of the internal or external customer.
Position may be filled in Muncie, IN or Mossville, IL.
Key Job Elements
- Lead a team of engineers performing repower locomotive design;
- Clearly communicate the requirements and tasks, while gaining input from the team on refinement of same; translating both verbal and non-verbal information from the customer, management, and team members;
- Represent the team in meetings with multiple levels of management and with the customer;
- Use networks to obtain resources and cooperation needed, and remove roadblocks so that they can insure the success of their team;
- May provide input to performance reviews for team members;
- Set strategy at the project level. The project would solve problems for a single technology, component, product, or process;
- Accountable for pulling together a team of individuals, who may or may not have worked together before, to solve a technical problem or create critical component(s) and systems or process;
- Key areas of responsibility encountered in the role of team leader are: plan and manage the job/project; manage the business/financial aspects of the job or project; provide a supportive work environment for the team; mentor, coach, and develop others; and manage one’s own development;
- Interact with people from diverse technical and cultural backgrounds.
- Make decisions that may affect the job/project team, the division or business unit, suppliers, both internal and external customers, and the market. Decisions may impact the entire product, process or factory, warranty, sales, and customers’ perceptions, and can cause an evolutionary change in technology;
- Responsible for completing project on time, independent of the hours required.
Education / Training
Bachelor degree in an accredited Engineering, Mechanical, Electrical, Industrial or Materials Science curriculum.
Qualifications and Experience
- 8-10 years of engineering experience;
- Previous locomotive or vehicle familiarity and design experience;
- Highly developed oral and written communications skills;
Highly proficient In reading and interpreting engineering drawings;
- Thorough knowledge of most advanced engineering methods, tools and procedures;
High level of analytical ability where problems are unusual or difficulty;
High level of interpersonal skills to work effectively with others.
- Previous Experience with Unigraphics, NX 10, and Teamcenter Engineering design software;
- Previous Experience with Pro-E and other 3D Modeling programs is a plus.
This position is eligible for relocation benefits
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities