Progress Rail Services Corp. Supplier Quality Engineer in LaGrange, Illinois
Auto req ID: 3771BR
Posting Title: Supplier Quality Engineer
Job Category: Supply Chain
Alternative Work Location: LaGrange, Illinois
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
Will be responsible for conducting SPAP's, quality audits of existing suppliers, containment management and managing quality notifications.
Key Job Elements
• Identify SPAP(Supplier Parts Approval Process) requirements
- Dimensional Reports, Process Flow, Control Plan, PFMEA, DFMEA, Materials Certificate, etc.
• Evaluate supplier SPAP submission for conformance to specifications and compliance to requirements
• Conduct supplier audits and coach for continuous improvement
• Evaluate QN(Quality Notification) root cause and corrective action responses from suppliers for accuracy and effectiveness
• Assist purchasing in cost reduction and supplier cost recovery projects with existing suppliers
• Identify process gaps and make recommendations for correction
• Manage nonconforming supplier material with containment, rework and cost recovery
• Work closely with PR Design Engineering and Purchasing to ensure supplied components meet PR specifications
- Considerable creativity and initiative to problem solve, identify solutions as well as improvement opportunities
- Apply advanced knowledge of manufacturing and engineering processes to guide improvement and solutions
- Program manage capability efforts to include documented project plan with specific actions and deadlines
- Report out regularly, updating leadership
Education / Training
- Engineering degree (Mechanical, Industrial, Electrical)
- ME or MBA
Qualifications and Experience
- Quality professional with experience and knowledge of fabrications, welding, machining, & electrical
- Function in accordance with the principles outlined in the Code of Conduct and Values in Action
- Proficient oral and written skills
- Basic understanding of DFMEA and PFMEA methodology
- Understanding of manufacturing processes and controls
- Knowledge of PPAP/SPAP, control plans, capability analysis
- Strong communication skills; collaborative; change agent qualities
- Ability to travel as needed
- Creative thinking capability for problem solving, 8D, 5Y methodology
- Knowledge of locomotive, background in heavy manufacturing
- Background in automotive quality principles (APQP, AIAG, etc.)
- Knowledge of six sigma, lean manufacturing and corrective action planning; Six sigma black belt a plus
- Knowledge of SAP, metrology, statistical measurement capability
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities