Progress Rail Services Corp. Systems Engineer, Locomotive Repower in LaGrange, Illinois
Auto req ID: 3629BR
Posting Title: Systems Engineer, Locomotive Repower
Job Category: Engineering
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
The Re-power Engineering team currently has an opening for an experienced systems engineer who is focused individually and has analytical approach to problem solving. The engineer will be responsible for carrying out duties for the engineering department, including design, research, prototyping, engineering documentation, estimating and participate in process improvement activities. The successful candidate will report directly to the manager of the engineering team and collaborate with other departments (such as purchasing, operations, program management and manufacturing) on ongoing production and R&D projects.
Key Job Elements
• Incumbent will have overall design and technical responsibility for the project as a whole. Multiple projects will be worked simultaneously.
• Respond to new sales inquiries in a timely manner and create customer technical proposals.
• Undertake task such locomotive performance studies, project cost estimates, and engineering cost estimates.
• Interpret customer requirements and translate into locomotive engineering specifications.
• Applicant must be capable and comfortable making timely judgement calls on technical issues, based on often-incomplete customer requirements.
• Create engineering requirements documents and specifications for execution of projects, translating the project commercial requirements into specific engineering design deliverables.
• Guide the design of the product to minimize cost and schedule. Contain scope creep on projects.
• Conduct field testing for demonstration of contract requirements and for certification purposes.
• Attend meetings with customers, vendors, and certifying agencies, making presentations and negotiating technical issues.
• Determining customer’s requirements and translating them into an actionable plan.
• Organizing many tasks into a timeline. Holding required meetings with to ensure specification compliance and project execution in accordance with time and budget restrictions.
• Making sure that all health, safety, legal and railroad regulatory (FRA, CFR, AAR) requirements are being met throughout the process.
• Up to 25% travel may be required.
Education / Training
• BSME – Bachelor of Science in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering.
Qualifications and Experience
• Minimum 3 to 5 years relevant engineering experience in locomotive structure, powerplant, cooling system, electrical system, and pneumatic system. ;
• Experience with diesel engine installation and application requirements.
• Knowledge of locomotive performance characteristics and ability to address customer operational requirements
• High level of analytical abilities where problems are very complex.
• High level of written and oral communication skills.
• Expected high level of analytical ability where problems are unusual and difficult.
• Thorough understanding of complex mechanical and/or electrical concepts.
• Previous locomotive or heavy equipment design familiarity and test experience.
• Experience with both EMD and Caterpillar diesel engine characteristics and requirements.
• Familiarity with AAR and UIC standards relating to rolling stock.
• Experience with project management methodology.
• Familiarity with EMD engineering processes and systems.
• Prior experience in field test, commissioning, or field service engineering.
This position is eligible for relocation benefits
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities