Progress Rail Services Corp. Technical Sales and Applications Engineer - Marine Diesel Engines in LaGrange, Illinois
Auto req ID: 3127BR
Posting Title: Technical Sales and Applications Engineer - Marine Diesel Engines
Job Category: Sales & Marketing
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
This position will provide engineering support and council to our dealer network for sales opportunities of diesel engines and equipment. Will be responsible for interfacing between our design engineering department and the sales and applications engineering departments of our dealer network to insure Electro-Motive Diesel engines are integrated properly into marine mechanical, marine diesel-electric and stationary power generation equipment. Will be expected to plan, schedule and coordinate the engineering work and handle multiple projects simultaneously.
Will have responsibility for developing and maintaining technical sales training tools to insure our distributors are properly trained on the features and proper application of our products.
Key Job Elements
• Manage and evolve a growing array of engine technical documents and spreadsheet tools. Author new documents and spreadsheet tools as needed;
• Produce highly detailed engine performance and application data tables for use by distributors and industry partners in worldwide applications;
• Develop and maintain professional relationships with customers and distributors;
• Interpret technical installation requirements for Power Products applications and assist customer and distributors;
• Work proactively to ensure that scope, technical specification, cost, quality and delivery time in proposals are balanced against commercial risk and within company guidelines;
• Ensure all regulatory and compliance procedures are adhered to in all activities;
• Settle technical details and negotiate commercial contracts with customers;
• Maintain knowledge of competitive engines and systems;
• Manage, direct and review performance of distributors;
• Travel as required (including international);
• Special assignments as required.
Education / Training
• Technical degree with mechanical, electrical, systems engineering or naval architecture / marine engineering specialty preferred.
Qualifications and Experience
• Minimum of 5 years of experience in the marine market with engine application and sales;
• Direct experience and involvement in commercial contracts for engine sales;
• Knowledge and experience with marine classification societies and their requirements for engines;
• Detailed knowledge of diesel engines and their applications, control systems, and supporting systems;
• Experience working in the Diesel Engine Industry as an applications engineer or with diesel engines in Marine, Offshore or Power Generation industries;
• Action-oriented, self-motivated and highly organized;
• Willingness to step outside personal core competencies to solve complex and multifaceted challenges that transcend inter-organizational, corporate and industry bounds;
• Superior written and oral communication skills;
• Industrial sales experience;
• Intermediate skills in MS Excel, Word and Power Point.
This position is eligible for relocation benefits.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities