Progress Rail Services Corp. Electrical Engineer in Montgomery, Alabama
Auto req ID: 3482BR
Posting Title: Electrical Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
Progress Rail Services, a Caterpillar Company, and leading provider of products and services for the global railroad industry, seeks an Electrical Engineer for our facility in Montgomery, AL.
The Montgomery facility provides Maintenance of Way, off-road and rail, equipment for domestic and global markets. Operations consist of fabrication and integrated assembly processes of a highly engineered product. The Electrical Engineer III will work independently on highly engineered, heavy equipment products in order to meet customer specifications and requirements. The individual in this position is expected to evaluate, select, and apply standard engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria using sound judgment in design and modification of mobile construction equipment. On-site engineering capabilities include structural, mechanical, electrical, fluids, and power train design work.
Key Job Elements
• Performing the design, analysis, and testing of mobile equipment electrical systems and components;
• Reviewing customer specifications, railroad regulations, and government regulations to determine proper design parameters for custom product design;
• Producing an error free engineering design package using sound engineering practices;
• Clearly communicating with engineering personnel, suppliers, plant personnel, and others to implement cost reductions, product improvements, process improvements, and to support product build processes
• Evaluate and implement engineering changes for improvements and cost reductions;
• Provide technical direction to manufacturing, procurement, assembly, aftermarket parts and service personnel;
• Other duties as assigned.
Education / Training
• BS Degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent;
• 3+ years of experience preferred, experience with specialist vehicle design and manufacture preferred.
Qualifications and Experience
• Competent using a standard multi-meter and common hand tools;
• Able to read, interpret, and generate electrical schematics and designs;
• Computer and technically literate;
• 3D design software experience is preferred;
• Must be a self-starter;
• Must have the ability to communicate technical information effectively with team members and others both inside and outside the immediate work group;
• Ability to operate in an environment based on KPI’s and execution of SMART goals Prefer candidates with previous experience working in a continuous improvement culture of Lean manufacturing and 5S;
• Knowledge of Quality Management Systems, ISO 9001;
• Prefer candidates with previous experience working in a manufacturing environment of Safety, Quality, On Time Delivery and Cost where everyone is valued ad is encouraged to improve products, process, and the business.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities