Progress Rail Services Corp. Fabrication and Welding Supervisor in Montgomery, Alabama
Auto req ID: 3889BR
Posting Title: Fabrication and Welding Supervisor
Job Category: Manufacturing/Operations
Alternative Work Location: Montgomery, AL
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
The Production Supervisor is a key position that manages the safety, quality, production operations and continuous improvement activities of all equipment and services produced by the Maintenance Of Way business of Progress Rail Services located in Montgomery, AL. The Fabrication and Welding Production Supervisor manages 25 - 30 employees and reports directly to the Production Manager.
Key Job Elements
• Understand and enforce Progress Rail safety policies;
• Assign and coach employees in SafeTrack observation process;
• Lead daily shift start-ups;
• Manage 5S program to ensure a safe and healthy work environment.
• Develop a schedule (with Production Control);
• Execute schedule (Aftermarket & Production);
• Assess true capacity of machine shop, by machine;
• Develop cross training plan for all machines / employees;
• Develop improvement plan for utilization (manpower):
-Identify low performers in the shop and develop a plan to get them aligned;
Identify high performers in the shop, look for new / additional responsibilities for them;
• Clearly define and communicate daily tasks for all individuals;
• Set the overall tone of the area and creating a sense of urgency in others;
• Learn to see all issues at hand and immediately communicating to others expectations to implement corrective actions and providing timely follow up;
• Be a highly visible leader with commanding presence;
• Manage overtime and allocate hours based on company needs.
• Achieve assigned equipment delivery dates;
• Have a clear understanding of status and issues for each machine center cell;
• Have long range vision for managing business demands;
• Be quick to react and communicate with changing conditions.
• Ensure in process checks are being completed on time;
• Minimize unnecessary effort by other departments when QA issues arise;
• Ensure employees have proper tools to get the job done safely and efficiently.
• Actively participate in the CI council;
• Create and execute a vision for the department;
• Be open to new ideas and willing to try something different;
• Challenge employees to participate in continuous improvement.
• Submit Engineering Change Requests as needed;
• Be prepared to communicate with factual information;
• Ensure that employees have followed proper process and before engaging other departments;
• Additional duties as assigned by the Production Manager.
Education / Training
• Minimum of high school diploma or equivalent GED.
Qualifications and Experience
• 5+ years of supervisory experience a plus;
• High level of mechanical aptitude;
• Problem solving and communication skills;
• Computer skills: Word, Excel, LN;
• Read and interpret blueprints, technical drawings;
• Operation of forklifts, overhead cranes, heavy equipment;
• Use of precision tools.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities