Progress Rail Services Corp. Production Mechanic in Montgomery, Alabama
Auto req ID: 4513BR
Posting Title: Production Mechanic
Job Category: Hourly/Production
Alternative Work Location: Montgomery, AL
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
The Production Mechanic will be responsible for the mechanical assembly of completed units involving component parts for sub-assemblies and assemblies from engineering drawings. This position will be located within the Rail Assembly Department.
Key Job Elements
• Mechanical assembly of chassis, drive train, engine, operator’s cab, etc;
• Assemble, inspect, test run, and troubleshoot finished machines prior to shipment to end customer;
• Light fabrication and parts alteration during assembly of research and development (R&D) prototype machines;
• Can instruct and mentor a level 3 mechanic to perform all assigned tasks;
• Actively considers safety concerns and takes actions to insure they are implemented;
• Fluent with blueprints, drawings and diagrams; can complete all tasks and operations within their assigned area without error;
• Proficient with hydraulic and pneumatic circuits; able to properly fit and route all circuits without error;
• Certified to operate overhead cranes, forklifts, hoists, and other jacking / lifting devices;
• Can be relied upon to work independently, with little specific guidance or instructions, and takes personal ownership of their product; views product from the customer’s perspective;
• Work safely and abide by workplace safety rules;
• Additional duties as needed.
Education / Training
• High School Diploma or equivalent preferred;
• Associate level degree a plus.
Qualifications and Experience
• 2+ years hands on mechanical experience;
• Ability to read and interpret mechanical drawings and engineering change orders;
• Ability to troubleshoot mechanical systems;
• Ability to communicate with other departments;
• Possess general computer knowledge;
• Ability to operate overhead crane;
• Have own tools;
• Prefer candidates with previous experience working in a continuous improvement culture of Lean manufacturing and 5S;
• Knowledge of Quality Management Systems, ISO 9001;
• Prefer candidates with previous experience working in a manufacturing environment of Safety, Quality, On Time Delivery and Cost where everyone is valued and is encouraged to contribute to improve products, process, and the business.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities