Progress Rail Services Corp. Quality Assurance Inspector in Montgomery, Alabama
Auto req ID: 3355BR
Posting Title: Quality Assurance Inspector
Job Category: Hourly/Production
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs.
Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world.
For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
The Quality Assurance Inspector is a key position within the Montgomery, AL facility in leading product inspections, testing, formulating data collection methods, reporting, analyzing and driving supplier improvement. This “hands on” position is responsible for applying quality management principles and objectives to daily activities in a busy full service design and manufacturing business with a sense of urgency. Subsequently, detail-oriented and relentless in the pursuit of continuous improvement.
Key Job Elements
• Document, analyze and provide reports related to quality objectives (KPIs). Conduct training for plant personnel related to quality results and improvement actions;
• Drive lean principles and implement cost reduction strategies within area of responsibility;
• Maintain gauge calibration program and reduce calibration cost;
• Use of precision measuring devices;
• Inspect and approve incoming materials confirming specifications through measurement and nondestructive testing. Document and analyze incoming rejection data driving supplier improvement;
• Work closely with suppliers to resolve non-conformances and improve understanding of product requirements;
• Understand welding processes and can identify weld nonconformance
• Work with engineering, and other departments in troubleshooting issues, developing containment plans and implementing sustainable solutions;
• Analyze, identify and prioritize improvement projects and drive value added QMS
(ISO-9001) process improvements;
• Create and revise plant procedures, provide training as needed to appropriate plant personnel;
• Guide and preform problem solving exercises with plant personnel as needed;
• Track and apply corrective actions due to customer complaints;
• Provide hands on support of all quality department and plant objectives;
• Willing to provide training to plant personnel related to areas of responsibility;
• Work with a sense of urgency, self-motivated with a constant mind set of getting it ‘right the first time, every time”;
• Practice Caterpillar’s code of conduct principles and safety polices at all times;
• Key personal attributes: Creativity, Passion, Sense of urgency, Leadership, Pride, Problem Solver, Individual Ownership, Quality, Timeliness and Cost Conscious;
• Other duties as assigned.
Education / Training
• High School Education required, Bachelor's degree in Quality, Mechanical, Manufacturing or Industrial Engineering or equivalent preferred;
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience as a Quality Inspector in a manufacturing environment preferred or 10 years’ experience in heavy equipment manufacturing environment preferred;
• Must have experience with and proficient in the use of various precision measuring devices;
• Working knowledge of NDT methods mag particle, hardness test and ultrasound;
• ASNT Certified NDT Level II or become immediately certified.
Qualifications and Experience
• Certified Welding Inspector (CWI) a plus;
• Strong ability in Engineering drawing reading and interpretation;
• Ability to provide data analysis reports;
• Willingness to learn and apply ISO-9001 Quality Management System processes, audit practices, root cause analysis, process improvement methods and how to implement and maintain lean enterprise best practices including 5S;
• Proficient in the use of measuring tools, micrometers, calipers, bore/depth gages;
• Experienced in gauge calibration methods;
• Understand geometric dimensions and tolerances (English and Metric).
• Able to perform various means of non-destructive testing (NDT), such as, Ultrasound and Mag Particle inspection;
• Candidates will have with previous experience working in a manufacturing environment of Safety, Quality, On Time Delivery and Cost Conscience where everyone is valued ad is encouraged to improve products, process, and the business.
• Demonstrate ability to work effectively at all levels, including company management, customers, staff, contractors, vendors and site personnel;
• Proactive, problem solver, innovator, highly observant and a self-starter;
• Effective critical thinking and problem solving skills;
• Strong communication/teaching skills, both written and oral;
• Proficient computer experience in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
• Must have a valid driver’s license.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities