Progress Rail Services Corp. Locomotive Systems Engineer in Muncie, Indiana
Auto req ID: 3295BR
Posting Title: Locomotive Systems Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
Support cross functional technical development of locomotive models and major sub-systems on projects driven by market demands for new models, feature enhancements, reliability improvements, and customer extras.
Key Job Elements
• Support cross functional technical development of locomotive models and major sub-systems on projects driven by market demands for new models, feature enhancements, reliability improvements, and customer extras;
• Work in a broad cross functional environment interfacing and negotiating with the commercial parts of the organization, project management, the multi-disciplinary engineering organization, operations, and the supplier community;
• Clarify and negotiate customer requirements;
• Develop, release, and maintain technical specifications;
• Estimate resources required to execute a project, and work with project management to develop work plans and schedules;
• Create, develop, and lead new design concepts;
• Manage technical integration of the product from requirements definition to final verification. Product design solutions must be balanced to meet the objectives of reliability, performance, and cost, while meeting budget, project cost, and schedule constraints;
• Oversee and audit end product verification through customer acceptance testing;
• Perform train simulation analyses;
• Production order support role for assigned orders;
• Support the technical inquiry process:
o Collect customer inputs and refine into clear technical requirements;
o Create and maintain work breakdown structures for a project;
o Develop resource estimates for new projects;
o Develop costing bills of materials and work with Finance to develop accurate cost estimates;
o Perform various analyses in support of locomotive inquiries such as train simulations, weight and clearance studies, and other performance studies.
Education / Training
• BS in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering, MS preferred.
Qualifications and Experience
• 5 years of experience relating to the design of diesel electric locomotives or of products with similar systemic complexities;
• Broad multi-disciplinary technical background in the development of systems with a strong interest in discovery of creative solutions;
• Demonstrated knowledge of Systems Engineering principles including requirements definition and allocation, design of alternatives, and verification of a product to requirements;
• Excellent communication skills;
• Excellent organizational skills working in a multi-national team environment;
• Ability to use SAP;
• Knowledge of project management principles a plus. 6 sigma skills a plus;
• Ability to use Unigraphics solid modeling and or UG/NX a plus;
• Knowledge of requirements management tools such as DOORS or SLATE a plus.
This position is eligible for relocation benefits.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities