Progress Rail Services Corp. Materials Manager in Muncie, Indiana
Auto req ID: 3837BR
Posting Title: Materials Manager
Job Category: Supply Chain
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
Materials Manager will be responsible for the development and implementation of an effective, business-wide program to optimize material flow and delivery to the shop floor for production including procurement, inventory management and transactions.
Key Job Elements
• Using the existing MRP system (SAP), ensure the timely delivery of material to the facility to meet the production schedule while maintaining minimum inventory levels;
• Effectively manage shortages to mitigate impact to operations group;
• Communicate known shortages to operations group and assist in the development of recovery plan;
• Monitor production activity; be proactive and focus on support;
• Monitor and maintain departmental metrics;
• Participate in regular cross-functional meetings;
• Follow-up with customer (operations) and understand their needs;
• Maintain SAP system accuracy;
• React to SAP error messages in a timely and effective manner;
• Participate in cross-functional Lean activities.
Education / Training
• University degree in Business (Supply Chain specialization preferred) or Diploma in Supply Chain Management; in possession of or working towards APICS Certification or CPIM.
Qualifications and Experience
• Experience in a Material Planning role in a heavy equipment manufacturing environment;
• Strong MS Excel and ERP/MRP system skills (SAP experience a definite asset);
• Competency using other computer-based programs such as Word, Lotus Notes, PowerPoint;
• Solid problem-solving, analytical, and decision-making skills;
• Demonstrated ability to work in a self-directed, team-based environment;
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills to negotiate solutions with suppliers and internal customers.
• Planning in a low volume, highly complex BOM environment;
• Experience in mechanical, electrical, weld manufacturing environment;
• Six Sigma trained;
• Experience working with SAP.
• Occasional domestic and international travel;
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities