Progress Rail Services Corp. Production Area Manager in Muncie, Indiana
Auto req ID: 2956BR
Posting Title: Production Area Manager
Job Category: Manufacturing/Operations
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs.
Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world.
For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
The Production Area Manager provides leadership and coaching for production teams. This position is responsible for meeting or exceeding all production goals for Safety, Quality, Delivery, Cost and Morale.
Key Job Elements
• Ensure team members work in a safe manner and follow all safe work procedures and work instructions;
• Identify and eliminate unsafe work conditions; ensure timely completion of safety related correction actions;
• Ensure all Safe Work Procedures for their current department are known and adhered to by employees;
• Meet or exceed departmental safety goals for lost time and recordable incidences;
• Ensure Company and legislative training requirements are met for existing, new hire and transferred team members;
• Encourage team to bring forward suggestions to improve safety;
• Complete scheduled safety talks;
• Maintain a clean shop environment.
• Ensure product leaving department meets or exceeds quality goals as defined by metrics;
• Ensure timely completion of Corrective Actions in Quality database as assigned;
• Address all quality issues through appropriate channels;
• Work with quality department for continuous improvement on quality and procedures for product quality;
• Champion or support Six Sigma, Lean, CI, 5S initiatives in area and throughout plant;
• Work with Quality Department team members to understand supplier problems;
• Verify suspect supplier parts to print, as well as make disposition on rework / scrap components;
• Make recommendations to supplier on potential process improvements / best practices;
• Problem solving;
• Continuous improvement;
• Assure safety standards are met.
• At all times, act in accordance with Company values;
• Staff-related reviews and recruitment, coach, develop, supervise staff;
• Ensure departmental performance reviews are accurate and timely, participate in merit review;
• Ensure employees are adequately trainied to perform duties;
• Spend time on the plant floor;
• Ensure proper staffing;
• Lead, coach, performance manage direct reports; complete accurate and timely performance reviews;
• Ensure team follows company policies and procedures and take immediate action on non-compliance.
Education / Training
• Bachelor’s degree or Associate’s degree; strong preference given to engineering or technical education plus 10 years’ experience or equivalent experience required.
Qualifications and Experience
• Experience in a least one of the applicable manufacturing areas: mechanical/ electrical assembly, fabrication, machining; welding (manual and robotic); paint;
• Demonstrated track record to positively coach, mentor and effectively manage performance;
• Experience supervising hourly and salaried employees;
• Well-versed in safety legislation and safety rules as they relate to a manufacturing environment;
• Strong root cause problem-solving abilities and experience addressing more complex technical problems;
• Effective Team building skills, good change manager;
• Lean manufacturing experience;
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to present information to team members, top management, customers;
• Knowledge of widely used computer system software.
• Work background in low volume highly engineered heavy industry product environment;
• Trained in formal problem solving and continuous improvement methodologies such as Six Sigma;
• MRP system use, SAP preferred;
• Knowledge of Association of American Railroad Specifications;
• Locomotive Product Knowledge.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities