Progress Rail Services Corp. Quality Assurance Engineer in Muncie, Indiana
Auto req ID: 3840BR
Posting Title: Quality Assurance Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
The Quality Engineer will work within the production team environment to control and maintain all aspects of the quality assurance program such as: establishing audit criteria & schedules, establishing and monitoring facility quality metrics and championing problem solving activities through a structured format.
Key Job Elements
• Ensure that safe work procedures are followed by all employees;
• Assess potential safety problems and take preventative action;
• Safety incidents reviewed and acted upon to prevent future occurrences;
• Conduct monthly safety meetings with hourly employees;
• Ensure that quality procedures, work instructions, and inspection operating instructions are followed;
• Follow-up and assist “customers” with quality related problems (customers may include both internal (e.g. production supervisor) or external (e.g. railroad, field service);
• Lead and assist in correction action;
• Assess potential problems and take appropriate action;
• Verify suspect supplier parts to print, as well as make disposition on rework / scrap components;
• Make recommendations to supplier on potential process improvements / best practices;
• Clearly communicate (via phone & email) with vendors. regarding non conforming material;
• Coordinate return of defective material and replacement stock;
• Follow up on clean points from the supplier;
• Schedule and efficiently allocate manpower to adhere to Master Scheduling production plan;
• Prioritize workflow to ensure customer satisfaction;
• Arrange to have vendor on-site for containment activities when deemed necessary;
• Assess and manage manpower requirements;
• Develop/implement ideas that encourage innovation and continuous improvement;
• Establish a working relationship with union representatives and resolve contractual issues or employee complaints on a timely basis;
• Utilize Timekeeping System (Empower) to track and schedule payroll related information such as regular work hours, vacation, overtime, etc.;
• Use Attendance Management program to track and respond to any issues;
• Work on special projects as required.
Education / Training
• Bachelors degree in related field preferred plus minimum of three years of quality experience or equivalent experience required.
Qualifications and Experience
• Working with a quality program compliant with ISO9001:2000;
• Root Cause Problem Solving;
• Effective communications skills (written and verbal);
• FMEA, DOE, SPC, Kaizen, APQP, or other manufacturing quality tools and measurements;
• Lean Manufacturing;
• Production Systems implementation;
• Locomotive Operations;
• SAP, Imagesite.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities