Progress Rail Services Corp. Tooling Technician in Muncie, Indiana
Auto req ID: 3214BR
Posting Title: Tooling Technician
Job Category: Engineering
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
Responsible for designing tooling and fixturing used in the assembly process and for servicing locomotives. Collaborate with manufacturing and engineering personnel to resolve issues in the shop related to fixturing and tooling. Collaborate with engineering and service department to develop and procure service tooling. Research options and present ideas to team. This position is primarily service tooling but will include production tooling as well.
Key Job Elements
• Collaborating with the service department to determine what service tools are needed for all locomotive models;
• Collaborate with the design engineers to develop the tools needed for servicing locomotives;
• Collaborate with purchasing and vendors to get quotes and procure service tooling;
• Work with purchasing on cost cutting exercises on existing tooling;
• Collaborate with the service department to develop and maintain service manuals and tooling catalogs;
• Work closely with project coordinators on locomotive launch projects to meet the timelines for service tooling delivery;
• Design welding or assembly fixtures using solid modeling programs. Contributes through exercise of functional expertise, counsel, experience, etc., toward the location meeting its current and long range business strategies and plans;
• Resolve shop issues around tools, fixtures confer with management, customers, and other representatives in the planning, scheduling, coordinating, and directing the quality assurance program in conformance with customer requirements, engineering specifications, and production schedules;
• Ability to create Poke-Yoked designs to prevent possible operator errors in positioning of parts into fixtures;
• Administer a continuing program of review and analysis to audit quality of reliability program results;
• Provide technical guidance and liaise with sales, service, operations, and engineering on all group projects;
• Ensure that supplier and sub-contracted components/systems meet requirements;
• Create 3D models and drawings for service tooling and production tooling.
Education / Training
• Engineering degree with relevant course work. Training in 3D modeling.
Qualifications and Experience
• Experience in Tool and/or fixture design using CAD program preferably Unigraphics;
• Strong Problem-solving and decision-making skills;
• Creativity and adaptability to successfully manager the facility through changing business conditions while achieving objectives;
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to interface with colleagues, vendors and shop floor team members;
• Ability to manage workload and have excellent organizational skills;
• Ability to read, analyze and interpret blueprints and other technical documents;
• Ability to create 3D models and drawings;
• Knowledge of widely used computer system software;
• Ability to effectively present information to team members, top management, customers.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities