Progress Rail Services Corp. Welding and Manufacturing Engineer in Muncie, Indiana
Auto req ID: 3434BR
Posting Title: Welding and Manufacturing Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
Support the welding lab and weld engineering group. Providing daily line support by determining the need for new or additional tooling. Reports directly to and works under the supervision of the Welding and Tooling Engineer Manager.
Key Job Elements
- Perform all duties and responsibilities in compliance with PRS safety policies;
- Preform both support and programming with robotics and hard automation.
- Maintain weld quality to meet or exceed internal and external quality standards;
- Perform training on production line or in the lab as needed;
- Determine the need for new or additional tooling;
- Work with Manufacturing, Liaison and Weld Engineer Manager to resolve design for manufacturing issues;
- Follow Quality Work Instructions consistently;
- Perform computer simulation of builds.
Education / Training
Bachelor’s or Associates Degree in Welding Engineering Technology, Industrial, or Mechanical Engineering required.
Qualifications and Experience
- Robotics experience (Motoman preferred)
- 5+ years of heavy weld experience preferred.
- Must have strong welding knowledge in heavy fabrication;
- Strong mechanical background as it relates to welding and assembly;
- Basic understanding of Oxy/Fuel, plasma cutting, and carbon arc gouging;
- Computer skills to include Microsoft Excel, Work, Outlook and 3D modeling (NX preferred);
- Proficient with measuring instruments and hand tools including scales, tape measure, calipers, dial indicators, various welding gauges, and basic electric and pneumatic hand tools;
- Knowledge of Association of American Railroad; Specifications and Federal Railroad Administration regulations
- Locomotive Product Knowledge
- Involvement of welding inspection using one or more of the following codes: AWS D1.1, AWS D15.1, AWS D3.0, API 1104, ASME BPV&C Section IX Welding & Brazing;
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret drawings, standards, welding codes and other technical documents;
- Ability to effectively present information to team members and customers.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities