Progress Rail Services Corp. Mechanical Design Engineer in Overland Park, Kansas
Auto req ID: 3327BR
Posting Title: Mechanical Design Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
City: Overland Park
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
Perform engineering duties in planning, designing and testing rail fastening products, tools and other related transit rail systems.
Key Job Elements
• Research, design, evaluate, install and maintain mass-transit rail products and related equipment using applied engineering principles,
• Research and analyze customer design proposals, specifications, manuals, and other data to evaluate feasibility, cost, and maintenance requirements of designs or applications.
• Specify system components or direct modifications of products to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specifications.
• Write and maintain QA/QC procedures, raw material specifications and conduct product failure analyses.
•Develop project objectives, submittals and test plans by reviewing customer specifications.
•Determine the design process schedule by studying project plan and specs as required by the project management group.
• Confirm product performance by designing and conducting tests.
• Work on multiple schedule-driven assignments simultaneously while demonstrating good time management skills.
•Work with a minimum of supervision following a project development process.
• Perform other duties as determined by the Director of Engineering.
Education / Training
B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from a four-year accredited university.
Qualifications and Experience
• 5-7 years working experience in design and project engineering.
• Training and/or experience with the use, design and and manufacture of rubber, elastomers, and thermosets preferred.
• Advanced skills in Finite Element Analysis (FEA) utilizing Ansys, Abaqus or similar.
• Proficiency in using advanced features of SolidWorks, such as surfacing, complex assembling, mold tools etc.
• Ability to identify complex problems, review related information, evaluate data, and implement solutions.
• Familiarity with Association of American Railroads (AAR) specifications.
• Rail experience highly preferred.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities