Progress Rail Services Corp. Switchman in Sidney, Nebraska
Auto req ID: 3767BR
Posting Title: Switchman
Job Category: Hourly/Production
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
Reports directly to and works under the supervision of the Plant Manager. Switchman is responsible for the safe and precise movement of rail cars in the Sidney, NE rail yard and facility.
Key Job Elements
• Able to inbound and outbound cars;
• Communicate by radio with operator, groundman, supervisors/leadman;
• Lace and apply air to cars;
• Set up production areas for work the next day;
• Pull inbound rail cars and push outbound rail cars;
• Complete arrival sheets and A4 sheets;
• Throw switches to change direction of tracks;
• Perform all duties and responsibilities in compliance with PRS safety policies.
• Complete paperwork with assistance / review;
• Perform preventative maintenance on the locomotive on occasion/as necessary.
Education / Training
• Prefer High School Education or GED;
• Must be able to read and understand English
Qualifications and Experience
• Ability to communicate clearly by radio;
• Proven ability to work safely with minimal supervision;
• Skilled at completing work functions with minimal direction;
• Work around and operate mobile equipment;
• Work on varied surfaces (concrete floors, gravel, rail car floors, dirt);
• Constant standing, walking;
• Constant holding ladder and riding on side of moving equipment;
• Frequent bending, crouching, stooping, kneeling, squatting, overhead reaching, climbing ladders;
• Push/pull up to 150 lbs;
• Carrying up to 50 lbs.
• Non-temperature controlled facility;
• Work outside in 0-100 degree F;
• Work in all weather conditions;
• Work in remote areas of the facility/grounds;
• High noise levels (above 85 decibels).
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities