Progress Rail Services Corp. Material Handler-Shipping and Receiving in Tacoma, Washington
Auto req ID: 4297BR
Posting Title: Material Handler-Shipping and Receiving
Job Category: Hourly/Skilled Trades
Alternative Work Location: Tacoma
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
The Material Handler II operates a forklift and other equipment to transport material and package products throughout the facility. Reports directly to and works under the supervision of the Materials Manager.
Key Job Elements
• Perform all duties and responsibilities in compliance with PR safety policies;
• Conduct daily inspections of forklifts and equipment to ensure they are free of damage and faulty operation to prevent injury;
• Moving, loading/unloading heavy material and equipment throughout the shop by operating a forklift and other equipment;
• Use basic air tools, drill, tape measure, etc.;
• Accurately identify materials to ensure they are transported to the appropriate location;
• Organize material and package products to aid the department in production effectiveness and efficiency;
• Other duties as assigned.
Education / Training
• High School Diploma or equivalent required.
Qualifications and Experience
• 1-3 years of experience operating a forklift;
• Ability to work in a fast-paced and demanding environment;
• Exceptional organizational and time management skills;
• Ability to multitask, attention to detail, and to work with a sense of urgency;
• Must exhibit consistency;
• Capable use of hands and power tools, including pneumatic tools;
• Work around overhead cranes and mobile equipment;
• Work on varied surfaces (concrete floors, gravel, dirt, railroad tracks);
• Constant standing, walking;
• Frequent bending, crouching, stooping, kneeling, squatting, overhead reaching;
• Push/pull up to 150 lbs;
• Carrying up to 85 lbs.
• Non-temperature-controlled facility;
• Work in all weather conditions, including outside in 0-100 degree F;
• High noise levels (above 85 decibels);
• High levels of dust;
• Frequent computer work;
• Communication by email, telephone & radio;
• Travel on varied surfaces (concrete floors, gravel, stairs, platforms, equipment);
• Frequent standing, walking.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities