Progress Rail Services Corp. Design Engineer in Taylor Mill, Kentucky
Auto req ID: 4426BR
Posting Title: Design Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
City: Taylor Mill
Alternative Work Location: Northern Kentucky
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
Responsible for developing current and future engineering designs. Responsible for integrating product design, performance, and manufacturing through the use of CAD, CAE, 3D Modeling and test to meet product requirements. Maintains daily contact with engineering functions as programs are develop, finalized, and put into production. Make decisions within the limits of general practices and standards with some direct guidance from supervisor.
Key Job Elements
• Provide technical reports and operating procedures;
• Identify customer field failures and provide timely and cost effective solutions;
• Prepare, manage, and track project budgets;
• Releases drawings for production;
• Communicates information to and from internal and external customer organizations;
• Coordinates and consults with department outside of engineering, such as manufacturing;
• Stays abreast of new technology and competitive products;
• Perform all responsibilities in accordance with "Our Values in Action, Caterpillar's Code of Conduct."
Education / Training
• BS in Engineering or related field, or an equivalent combination of formal education and direct work experience.
Qualifications and Experience
• High level of analytical ability where problems are unusual or difficult;
• Understanding of engineering theory and principles of design;
• 3D Modeling;
• Must be familiar with basic structural engineering concepts and manufacturing processes;
• Strong written skills to provide technical reports and operating procedures;
• Strong interpersonal skills are essential to effectively communicate with co-workers and senior management;
• Demonstrated ability to work in cross-functional teams, and coordinate with internal departments as well as outside suppliers;
• Self-starter and with the ability to work independently with little supervision on complex design analyses.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/vision/life/disability insurance along with flexible spending and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities