Progress Rail Services Corp. Locomotive Mechanic in United States
Auto req ID: 4129BR
Posting Title: Locomotive Mechanic
Job Category: Hourly/Skilled Trades
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
Reports directly to and works under the supervision of the engine department supervisor/manager. Oversee 2nd shift locomotive modification program. Ensure reworked engines and locomotives are meeting all specifications before qualifying and shipping to customer.
Key Job Elements
• Identify and troubleshoot multiple locomotive orders and types of engines;
• Follow written/scope of work instructions and or QWI’s consistently, accurately, and safely;
• Use electric and air operated hand tools accurately and safely;
• Operate overhead cranes accurately and safely;
• Work with little or no supervision consistently, accurately, and safely;
• Operate rolling equipment (i.e. tugger and fork truck) accurately and safely;
• Adhere to HAZMAT policies and procedures consistently, accurately, and safely;
• Read precision instruments and gauges accurately and safely;
• Keep work area clean and organized consistently and safely;
• Assign and Manage employees daily work scope to ensure work is completed safely, in a timely manner and to work instruction for QUALITY;
• Enforce all safety and quality rules by use of Safety contacts and Quality audits;
• Non-temperature controlled facility;
• Work outside in 0-100 degree F;
• Work in all weather conditions;
• High noise levels (above 85 decibels);
• High levels of dust;
• Required to work from heights over 6’;
• Required to climb steps on and off of locomotive safely;
• Required to work on varied surfaces (concrete, gravel, metal, etc.);
• Frequent bending, crouching, stooping, kneeling, squatting, overhead reaching, climbing ladders;
• Frequent work below waist level and above shoulder level;
• Able to lift up to 45 pounds.
Education / Training
• High School Diploma or equivalent required;
• Technical or Bachelor Degree in related field preferred;
• Certified/Licensed Mechanics;
• Diesel, Automobile, Aircraft;
• Heavy Equipment, Farm Implement.
Qualifications and Experience
• 12 months experience as a Mechanic;
• Verify torque wrenches by QWI;
• Re torque engines;
• Prep engines to ship to customer;
• Read gages; indicators, micrometers, calipers, tape measure etc.;
• Must have basic computer skills;
• Must have strong Mechanical aptitude;
• Must have ability to read precision instruments, micrometers, and gauges accurately and safely;
• Must have good written and verbal skills to communicate effectively with others.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities