Progress Rail Services Corp. Assembler II - Painter in Winston Salem, North Carolina
Auto req ID: 4303BR
Posting Title: Assembler II - Painter
Job Category: Manufacturing/Operations
City: Winston Salem
State: North Carolina
Alternative Work Location: NC
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
Assemblers will use mechanical and electrical knowledge and skills to assemble parts and components for locomotive engine assembly. Following instructions from blueprints, schematics and standard work, operations will consist of wiring, mechanical assembly, reading and understanding blueprints and schematics, installation and repair work, pre-paint wash/prep, masking sanding, painting.
Key Job Elements
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to the following as other duties may be assigned as necessary.
• Assemble and paint engines using standard work documents, blueprints, safe job procedures, and visual aids within Takt time. This will require extensive problem solving skills to properly assess and compensate for variations due to incoming part quality, process variations, process changes, engineering changes and part shortages;
• Participate in continuous improvement initiatives and provide feedback in areas of quality, safety, velocity, and cost;
• Fasten sub-assembly parts together with bolts, screws, speed clips, or other fasteners;
• Route and install hydraulic fluid, fuel lines and electrical wiring harnesses;
• Perform pressure decay tests and other IPV’s as required;
• Maintain and conduct preventive maintenance on machines. Check oil levels, air pressures, air filters and perform minimal maintenance to correct issues;
• Transport very heavy loads with crane, power pusher, or electric pallet jack;
• Expectation is all tasks are to be conducted in a 100% safe manner;
• Must be able to work in a team environment;
• Must be a self-starter and ability to demonstrate strong initiative. Capable of interpreting technical instructions, dealing with large degrees of variation with part and process consistency while delivering the highest levels of quality components;
• Move units in and out of paint booths;
• Power wash units for paint, check for leaks;
• Sand units, mud and glaze dents or grind marks, perform touch-ups and repair flaws;
• Perform surface preparation and masking;
• Responsible for the care, cleaning, and maintenance of booth;
• Other duties as assigned.
Education / Training
• Must have High School Diploma or equivalent;
• Minimum of one year manufacturing experience, preferably heavy industrial.
Qualifications and Experience
• Experience in operating forklift and/or crane preferred;
• Basic PC knowledge for data entry;
• Ability to read and understanding blueprints, schematics, wire running list, and other visual aids;
• Must be familiar with manufacturing environment, with use of industrial equipment and mechanics, heavy structural assembly, and ability to use various hand and power tools and measuring devices;
• Problem solving ability and ability to apply reasoning and common sense for appropriate resolutions;
• Must demonstrate ability to read and comprehend complex instructions, technical correspondence, and memos;
• Must be able to understand and follow safety policies and practices when operating equipment and machinery.
Must also be able to perform the following for the duration of shift:
• Prolonged kneeling, bending, squatting, or lying flat to apply or install components;
• Continual use of ladders/platforms/stairs to access engine in various stages of assembly;
• Occasional pushing/pulling objects through openings on unit;
• Occasional lifting objects up to 35 lbs;
• Periodically walking short and long distances;
• Must be able to pass Progress Rail respirator qualification/requirements.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities